Author Topic: Fruit and/or Nut Trees  (Read 10573 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Fruit and/or Nut Trees
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:27:41 pm »
My sister Haley is planning on having an orchard once we get some more land, and she was curious to know what sorts of fruit or nut trees people are growing, particularly what varieties people are liking.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Fruit and/or Nut Trees
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 05:51:08 am »
They are very local. 40 miles south of here peaches are a #1 crop. Here they do a very little.
60 miles north of here, apples are grown by the many tons. Here they are mediocre.
Pecans do well and black walnuts do well here, as do persimmons. Plums do OK. Grapes and scuppernongs do well.
Figs are grown here, but are not real popular.
Thornless blackberries are rising in popularity. Blueberries are a favorite for homes, but not commercially. Strawberries are great.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 01:41:08 pm »
My sister Haley is planning on having an orchard once we get some more land, and she was curious to know what sorts of fruit or nut trees people are growing, particularly what varieties people are liking.

I would think that it's a local question.  I would contact your local extension office for varieties and recommendations.  Research is needed.
Where I live, Zone 6, apricot blooms get nipped by a late freeze most years.  People have better luck with certain late blooming varieties.  Sometimes peaches get freeze damage too.  Insect and disease control and also play a factor in your decisions.  Jonathan apples grow well here but they are best for cooking.
Is she hoping to feed your family or to sell fruits and nuts?  If it's to feed your family you have to decide what you like.  If it's for resale you have to determine what the demand is. 
Pecans can take 10 years before producing any nuts so this would be a long term investment.
Blueberries, strawberries, and black berries take a lot less time to start producing.  Christmas trees are popular here.  I would rather buy a Christmas tree from a local grower then one that was shipped from the NW.
I apologize if this didn't answer your question.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 06:31:16 pm »
I would think that it's a local question.  I would contact your local extension office for varieties and recommendations.  Research is needed.
Oh yeah, she is doing an absolute ton of research on this, which is why she wanted me to ask people about it.  She just wants to hear what people's experiences are and what varieties they like and don't like and why.  Obviously, as with beekeeping I suppose :), information from people in similar climates will be most relevant, but everyone's experiences and preferences can be helpful with their location taken into context.

Is she hoping to feed your family or to sell fruits and nuts? 
We are looking to produce for ourselves.  Obviously if we had the opportunity to sell a surplus we might, but we are primarily just looking to supply our own needs. 

Jonathan apples grow well here but they are best for cooking.
We've been discussing apple varieties recently, since it's apple season.  We definitely want honey crisp, because that is literally the best eating apple ever invented, and we want granny smith for baking.  Is anyone growing either of these?  Anyone have recommendations on other varieties? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.