Author Topic: Wax worm frames  (Read 1435 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Wax worm frames
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:29:44 am »
Hi Everyone.  I've got 10 or so drawn frames from deadouts that have wax worm damage. They were in the freezer for a couple weeks and I sprayed them with BT after they thawed out. They still have the webby tunnels the wax worms make, some worse than others. The drawn wax is not that old so I was hoping to use them next spring if the bees will clean them up. So what do you think? Will the bees clean them up? Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Wax worm frames
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 12:14:40 pm »
Hi Ted  :)  Yas, absolutely, fer sure!

My most constant reminder in my head is: Bees love to work! So give them work  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Online The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 12:15:14 pm »
Hi Everyone.  I've got 10 or so drawn frames from deadouts that have wax worm damage. They were in the freezer for a couple weeks and I sprayed them with BT after they thawed out. They still have the webby tunnels the wax worms make, some worse than others. The drawn wax is not that old so I was hoping to use them next spring if the bees will clean them up. So what do you think? Will the bees clean them up? Thanks, Ted
They absolutely will.  This has happened to me several times.  If they are SERIOUSLY webby, like there is more web than comb, I will usually just cut out or pull off the spots where it's really bad, just to save the girls the work and the prospect of getting tangled in the silk.  But your average web networks from a handful of worms the bees will clean up no problems.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 06:20:59 pm »
Thank you both very much, I feel better now.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 08:24:48 am »
I scrape it off.  It's filled with feces and that grosses me out.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 01:40:42 pm »
Kinda agree with Baker. If it's real bad I pop the plastic frame out and toss. But moderate I let the bees clean it up.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 01:09:24 am »
How many did you lose this year Ted?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 10:47:32 pm »
I lost 2 over the last winter then 2 this summer.  Haven't had that happen before, actually losing hives during the summer.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 12:59:31 pm »
Hi Ted, hmm, losing two frames during the summer makes me wonder if the colony was small to begin with. In my experience, when hives are bustling there are enough bees to take care of the wax moth before it gets to be a problem. this year, in our area many of our hives were reduced to small colonies by the end of summer. So I had some frames effected by the wax moth as well. Caught them in time to get them in the freezer pronto.

Online The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 01:20:09 pm »
Hi Ted, hmm, losing two frames during the summer makes me wonder if the colony was small to begin with. In my experience, when hives are bustling there are enough bees to take care of the wax moth before it gets to be a problem. this year, in our area many of our hives were reduced to small colonies by the end of summer. So I had some frames effected by the wax moth as well. Caught them in time to get them in the freezer pronto.
I've had similar experiences.  Usually only my small colonies will succumb to waxworm infestations, although if there is some other stressors (mites, disease, lack of food, etc.) bigger colonies can struggle to contain them as well. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 05:38:18 pm »
There were definitely some stressors.  Between May and mid October we only recieved 3.5 inches of rain, 'twas dry as a bone. These two hives just started dwindling, then the SHB moved in.  Or maybe the SHB moved in and they started dwindling.  SHB are new for me.  Saw my first one (in another guy's hive) in 2018 I think.  Saw my first one here in 2020 I think. A few more last year, couple here couple there.  This year? Holy smokes! They were everywhere. The wax moths moved in later. Tex

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 11:51:28 pm »
Look at Jen go! Makes me happy!  Yep I was going to ask about the weather and SHB, giving the wax moths an opening...  Cant give better advice than already posted!   I scrape the sides of the frame off and get as much off as is reasonable, and let the bees do the rest! Hope your doing well Ted!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*