Author Topic: Beekeeping Resolutions?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Beekeeping Resolutions?
« on: January 07, 2023, 04:20:15 am »
As we start the new year are there any resolutions you have made re beekeeping?
This is the year I swear I will document my inspections better….   :laugh:
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Beekeeping Resolutions?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 11:14:57 am »
My New Years resolution is to get up earlier in the morning, which doesn't sound beekeeping related, but hear me out.  After I hurt my back lifting heavy supers last year, I realized that I'm way too young for this to be a problem, and if I don't do something about it now, it's only going to get worse.  I have done yoga for years, and I started doing pilates recently too, and I find when I'm committed to it, it really helps my back and my posture, both of which are naturally poor, but it's difficult for me to find the time every day to practice.  So starting Monday, I'm going to get up early every weekday morning so that I can do yoga/pilates before breakfast, and hopefully that will help my back, my mental health, and my beekeeping.  I'm not naturally a morning person, so it's going to be hard, but it'll be worth it.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 12:13:36 pm »
There is a saying I have heard many times.  "There are beekeepers that have bad backs and those that will have bad backs."  Good for you 15th!  Keep up the good work!

I started going to the weight room at the community gym.  My goal is to keep this up in 2023.  I am seeing great results in the back and legs.  I am fortunate.  My husband keeps me on track.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 11:14:58 am »
I bought an inversion table...   It works for some people, and it doesnt for others...  for me? It literally saved my life...  I have HONESTLY crawled to it, struggled for 30 minutes to get ON it, inverted, close to tears it hgurt so bad.... and walked away from it after. STILL HURT, but no longer in agony. My son, is a big boy....  E7 in the Army, and I can carry a railroad tie on my shoulder, he can't...  But then I can no longer bench over 200 lbs, and he can....     The thing that is most annoying, is that I can CARRY that railroad tie, with NO ISSUES at all....   I placed about 30 of them to make steps down to our pond.   Nop issue with my back at all....   a month later, I stand up out of my chair and it drops me to my knees... AND I am trying to get to the inversion table.....    Beekeeping resolutions?   Yeah i want to take CARE of my hives, Hives I have been neglecting and minimizing their care, because I just didn't have time. (Read take time)...   Going to install ten new hives, and split the hives that make it through the winter. WIFE, decided she wants her own hives too.. so, yeah excited for the spring!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:28 am »
WIFE, decided she wants her own hives too.. so, yeah excited for the spring!
That's fun!  I always force my family to come along on an inspection with me for my birthday, and they usually enjoy it, but no one has taken a hands-on interest of their own volition.  They'll help me with something if I need it, but not for fun.  :no: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 11:32:03 am »
LOL  Understand exactly.   The biggest issue we have, is when a bee gets in her hair, buzzing wildly....  I mean.... Normally I can out run her.......

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 01:54:37 pm »
LOL  Understand exactly.   The biggest issue we have, is when a bee gets in her hair, buzzing wildly....  I mean.... Normally I can out run her.......
You can outrun who, the bee or your wife?  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 11:09:03 pm »
LOL, I am too old to outrun the bees, Getting stung is easier. I meant the wife...  She makes this EEEEEEEE sound as she goes past at mach 3...

*Sponsor*