Author Topic: Pine cone firestarters  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Pine cone firestarters
« on: December 21, 2022, 10:08:59 pm »
Here's a last minute gift idea.

I make pinecone fire starters. for a neighbor, to give as a Christmas gift.  This year I thought I would dye some of the pinecones red.  It's something I saw online.
Here's how I did it:
Pick up pinecones and wash them.  I'm not sure this step was necessary, but I did it.  Let dry.

In a large pot or container mix 2 quarts of warm water, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1 ounce red food coloring.  Submerge your pinecones in the liquid overnight.

Remove pinecones from liquid and allow to dry thoroughly.  To speed the drying process up I put them in the oven, on the warm setting, for a few hours.

When dried, tie some candle wicking to each pinecone.  Prepare the beeswax.  I used wax that had been only lightly filtered.  You could also use sludgy wax for this project too.
Using the wick as a handle, dip your pinecones in the melted wax.  I like to make sure the wick that is wrapped around the pinecone is covered in wax so that I am sure it won't slip off.  Allow to dry and they are ready to use.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Pine cone firestarters
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 10:30:56 am »
Those are great!  They'd make good stocking stuffers. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Pine cone firestarters
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 12:55:25 pm »
These are just pretty  ;) I like the beeswax on them.

These are what I buy from a mom here in town. Parifin, soy wax, wood chips. I get 50 for $30. I cut them in half because they start the fire just as well. I have offered beeswax but she chooses her own recipe. She says people buy them for their grills and camping fires, people keep them stored in their RV's.

There Is Peace In The Queendom
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen