Author Topic: Propolis honey  (Read 5473 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Propolis honey
« on: January 16, 2023, 02:22:43 pm »
Hey Everyone,
Anyone have an idea how this is made?  Bjorn propolis honey from Colorado is the only one I've found.  Thanks, ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Propolis honey
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:43:56 pm »
Reading a bit more it I see they use a 70% propolis "extract".  Mix with a small amount of honey then mix that into your jar of honey.  A gal that buys honey from us was asking about it.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:49:11 am »
Hi Ted, it's a rather loose question.

Small amount of honey? mix with a jar of honey?

I have made propolis tincture in the way past, and still use it when I need something to keep a wound closed so it can heal.

I'm not sure what the purpose is to put the propolis tincture into honey other than making the honey more of a healing product.

So what are we talkin hear? a few drops of propolis tincture into an 8 ounce jar perhaps?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 11:01:24 am »
I've never seen anything like that product before, and I agree with Jen, I have more questions than answers about it.  Visually, it almost looks like it's creamed honey, so I guess it would be easy to just add some propolis tincture into the honey and mix it in as you were creaming it.  I don't like how little information I can find about it; the consumer should be more informed about what the product exactly is.  Especially because people are already confused about what exactly propolis is, we don't need people thinking it's a variety of honey!  :no:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:42:04 pm »
I have heard of people who put in a dropperful of propolis tincture in their first morning coffee/tea, alcohol based, and drink it right down.

I have also infused cbd hemp buds into honey in a pan on the stove. Like, one cup of honey and one tablespoon of hemp buds into the honey, then simmer for about an hour. You just have to make sure that the honey doesn't go over 50 degree fahrenheit, because then you loose the nutrition in the honey.

Ted, ya got me to thinkin! I wonder if we could heat up honey to no more than 50 fahrenheit, and drop in about a teaspoon or tablespoon of chunk propolis, stir stir stir. and maybe it would would melt into the honey that way.

I can't think of a more powerful healing agent than honey infused with propolis  ;D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 03:34:20 pm »
50F isn't even room temperature? Thinking you meant Celsius??  maybe? Anyhow, thinking, foreign substance in honey may make it crystalize faster? Also wondering what the purpose is....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 04:06:35 pm »
I have heard of people who put in a dropperful of propolis tincture in their first morning coffee/tea, alcohol based, and drink it right down.

I have also infused cbd hemp buds into honey in a pan on the stove. Like, one cup of honey and one tablespoon of hemp buds into the honey, then simmer for about an hour. You just have to make sure that the honey doesn't go over 50 degree fahrenheit, because then you loose the nutrition in the honey.

Ted, ya got me to thinkin! I wonder if we could heat up honey to no more than 50 fahrenheit, and drop in about a teaspoon or tablespoon of chunk propolis, stir stir stir. and maybe it would would melt into the honey that way.

I can't think of a more powerful healing agent than honey infused with propolis  ;D
50F isn't even room temperature? Thinking you meant Celsius??  maybe? Anyhow, thinking, foreign substance in honey may make it crystalize faster? Also wondering what the purpose is....
I've always heard that honey starts to break down at around 140F (people who are heating honey to strain and bottle it typically heat to around 100F).  I looked it up and propolis only starts to melt at 140F, so you could probably only make something like this work with a tincture or extract.  Based on the picture of this product, I think it might be crystallized honey already, since it looks opaque in the jar.  I'm sure ingesting it is good too, but agree with Jen that I think the best use for something like this would be as a wound or burn dressing.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 06:30:33 pm »
The gal would use/take the propolis honey for general health.  The propolis extract I was looking at did have a dosage note, like a drop per teaspoon of honey or something like that.  The term "extract" threw off. It's what i think of as a tincture.  The reviews describe it as thick.  Im thinking of syrup kind of thickness but will order some and find out.  I'm also going to get a few propolis traps and mess around.
 The propolis honey was either whipped or crystalized but I don't see why it wouldn't work with liquid honey.  I'm still curious about adding alcohol (from the tincture/extract) to honey.  It's interesting and I hope to learn more.  I'll let you know what I find.  Thanks, ted

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 12:27:32 am »
Wait, adding alcohol? But you don't drink! Tell me when! I want to see this!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 02:56:59 pm »
Ted and Scott, we're talking a 'Smidge' of alcohol here. If Ted were to drink or eat anything fermented, Kombucha for example, he's going to get about 1% alcohol.

This is my propolis tincture. It's been in this bottle for a few years. You only need a couple drops, or more if you want to ingest it. Like I mentioned, I know people who put a small dropper full into their morning coffee.

About 15 years ago my hubby had a deep surgical incision in his lower abdomen. He had been home from the hospital about 3 days when it looked like a little infection was occurring on the incision. I got my tincture with a small dropper and tapped the length of the incision with the tincture. Hubby said it kinda burned a bit but not bad. The tincture stopped the infection and kinda glued the incision closed, the incision no longer wanted to weep.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 05:12:31 pm »

My boss in 1983 complained about me drinking a beer. "at most, 6%'

But he would drink nyquil every night. At that time, it was 25%.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 12:39:52 pm »

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:03 pm »
I just got the propolis extract today.  The stuff is thick and very dark. Im hoping it'll thin out a bit as it warms to room temperature. It has the obvious taste of alcohol.  Not sure how to proceed but will ponder it as it warms.  The directions are 5-10 drops into 1/4 teaspoon.  There's like 96, i don't recall exactly, teaspoons per pint.  How much propolis per pint of honey?  Any thoughts?  Ted

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 12:53:45 pm »
Would the propolis honey seperate?  So many questions.  Thanks, ted

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 02:02:21 pm »
I just got the propolis extract today.  The stuff is thick and very dark. Im hoping it'll thin out a bit as it warms to room temperature. It has the obvious taste of alcohol.  Not sure how to proceed but will ponder it as it warms.  The directions are 5-10 drops into 1/4 teaspoon.  There's like 96, i don't recall exactly, teaspoons per pint.  How much propolis per pint of honey?  Any thoughts?  Ted

Correct, 96 tsp/pint.  So, let's just think about this logically.  It might not get us the "right" answer, but at least we'll have a baseline established.  The serving size for honey is usually listed at 1 tbsp., and the serving size on the propolis extract is .5 mL.  There are 3 tsp./tbsp., and almost 5 mL/tsp.  So there are 32 tbsp. in a pint, or 32 servings of honey in a pint, and for every serving of honey we want .5 mL of propolis, or .1 tsp.  So if we are going by serving size, we want 3.2 tsp. or essentially 3 1/4 tsp. of propolis per pint of honey.  Like I said, that may not be right, but it's somewhere to start.  (And it might be good for someone else to check my math).   

Would the propolis honey seperate?  So many questions.  Thanks, ted
Honey is water soluble, and the propolis is obviously alcohol soluble, so yes, I'd think it will separate.  But both mixtures are very viscous, so it may take a while.  How long a while is anyone's guess. 

The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 02:17:03 pm »
Would seperation occur if the honey was whipped? Crystalized?  I imagine it would. Ted

Also, I appreciate the way you think 15thmember.

The math looks good!

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 03:20:01 pm »
Would seperationo occur if the honey was whipped? Crystalized?  I imagine it would. Ted

Also, I appreciate the way you think 15thmember.

The math looks good!
Thanks.  Agreed, I think it would still separate eventually, but it might slow down the process even further, since the mixture would be even more viscous.   

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 10:13:37 am »
I bought this about 10 years ago at a discount store.  It's still liquid and has a strong flavor. Ingredients are Honey and Propolis extract.  It doesn't say anything about an alcohol content.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:18 am »
I bought this about 10 years ago at a discount store.  It's still liquid and has a strong flavor. Ingredients are Honey and Propolis extract.  It doesn't say anything about an alcohol content.

Weird.  I wonder why it says "green" propolis.  Also, strange way to define propolis in the information on the back.  That almost sounds to me like it was translated out of French, because that's phrased very oddly.  "Used by bees in nature for the maintenance and protection of their habitats".  :-\  :D

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 09:12:47 am »
Yes, it's oddly phrased, but true.