Author Topic: Propolis Toothpaste  (Read 10066 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Propolis Toothpaste
« on: November 04, 2023, 04:47:33 pm »
I posted a while back that I was working on trying to make homemade toothpaste, and now that I've got the recipe dialed in, I thought I would post it.  I was unable to make mint toothpaste, I just couldn't ever get it to be minty enough using natural ingredients.  And while I don't like commercial cinnamon toothpaste, I think this stuff is good, but you definitely have to be prepared that it is nothing in flavor or texture like store-bought.  I'm very pleased with it, however, because it seems to work better than store-bought toothpaste and has actually removed some staining and whitened my teeth since I have been using it, which has been for several months.  I adapted the recipe from one in Petra Ahnert's Beehive Alchemy.

Ingredients 
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup of baking soda (I use a 1/2 cup in the summer because the coconut oil is softer in warmer temps)
1/4 tsp. of bentonite clay (you could also use kaolin, but bentonite has more minerals that are better for your teeth)
1/4 tsp. myrrh powder
1/4 tsp. stevia (I use the granules, but liquid would probably work too)
1/2 tsp. powdered cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. propolis tincture
30 drops anise essential oil

Directions
1. Combine baking soda, clay, myrrh, stevia, cloves, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. 
2. Pour melted coconut oil into the bowl and mix well. 
3. Add tincture and essential oil and stir until the coconut oil begins to cool.
4. Pour into small jar(s) and put in fridge until the mixture has set up.  The toothpaste can then be stored at room temperature.  (I use 4 oz. ball jars, and I have 1 jar per person, because some people think it's gross to share a jar.)

Yield: Approximately 4 oz.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: efmesch

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Propolis Toothpaste
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 11:38:41 am »
15th, very interesting.  I had to google myrrh as my only knowledge of myrrh was from the Three Wise Men and their gifts.  Can you describe the flavor of myrrh? I didn't realize it was such a healthy natural product.
I'm curious about what brand of toothpaste your family used before you made this.
(I understand wanting a jar of your own.  ;D )

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Propolis Toothpaste
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 04:22:32 pm »
We just used normal mint toothpaste, like Crest, Aquafresh, etc.  We weren't particularly brand loyal, usually my mom would buy whatever was the best price in bulk.  Not everyone is using the homemade stuff yet, but I think we'll get there, or at least most of us will. 

I didn't know much about myrrh either until I started making this.  The powder itself is the resin from the myrrh tree, so it's kind of propolis-y, but less full-bodied and more spicy, not like a hot pepper, but like cinnamon.  I have never tried any straight up, but it smells warm and woody with an oriental note.  The flavor isn't very noticeable in the toothpaste, because you aren't using much of it and the spices and tincture overpower it, but it's a complementary flavor to the spices.   

Here's a picture of a batch I made yesterday.  I would have posted it yesterday, but the host website was down.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen