Author Topic: Getting ready to swarm?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Newbee

Getting ready to swarm?
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:22 pm »
Are my bee's getting ready to pop a new queen?

I hadn't done a real inspection in a while, but had recently added a second hive body, and would poke my nose in there to see how they were building out the comb. I was all proud of myself, as I wasn't even suiting up or smoking them, just taking the feeder-top off, and pulling a quick frame or two to make sure they were building the new frames out. There were very few bee's up there, and they had always been very passive, so I wasn't bothered by them at all. Well about a week ago I tried it, and they sounded unhappy as I pried the feeder up, and 2 flew out and stung me. I didn't even pull a frame, just put it back down and left them alone (OK, they chased me away for about 50-75 feet).

I had seen a few queen cups forming on previous inspections (prior to the 2nd hive body), but never built out. Just cups.
Today I did a more thorough inspection, and found this. (click to enlarge)

I did not see an opening on the bottom of it, and haven't inspected the hive in several weeks, so no telling how old it is. These are Russian bee's from Kelley's Bee's installed as a package at the end of April. Heat has been high here lately, and I've noticed an increase in bearding on the front of the hive in the last 2 weeks.

My follow up question is, if this does look like a swarming queen, I do have a 2nd hive available (errrr... OK, I still need to clear-coat it, but I could have it up in a couple days), should I move this frame over w/ a couple brood frames and some bee's and try to short-cut the swarm? I did not see the queen on my inspection, but believe she is there, as there was a variety of capped brood, lavae still growing, and think I saw some very tiny egg's, too. I plan on posting another thread w/ detailed pics of the inspection later... My one concern is the brood does seem 'spotty', not in a nice regular pattern.

If you look in the bottom of the cells, you can see some young eggs.

Thanks for thoughts and advice!

- Kevin

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Getting ready to swarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »
See reply in previous thread  :)  ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:23 pm »
kevin,
wonky comb, and your queen is not laying well. i think you need to re-queen. package bees/queen received in april ought to do well more than what i am seeing.
also, not certain the 2nd deep was necessary?

ps will fix your pic so it orients correctly.

thanks ted, newbees other thread here:

Hive Inspection Review
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Newbee

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:56:24 am »
Thanks guys! Made me feel a lot better (though the prospect of splitting had me excited!)

- K