Author Topic: Hey Jack, did you know?  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Hey Jack, did you know?
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »
Hey Jack, we have some of the world's oldest chickens here in Nova Scotia. I wonder if they're still laying? :laugh:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/city-of-halifax/40-year-old-bantam-hens/1095256500?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Hey Jack, did you know?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »
There not that old, i had Bantees when i was youngster, I got some of dads corn squeezen's and a eye dropper , caught one of my Bantee rooster and 4 of moms White laggen, and Rhode island red roosters, and gave each one a dropper full, ;D My bantee rooster whipped three of them, and the other one was having a good time chasing the hens. :D I was having a good time till mom come out to see what all the commotion was about, seen the eye dropper and smelled dads corn squeezen's. I got my butt set on fire from mom and then dad when he came home :o. When we were in bed that night, i heard mom and dad laughing, and dad saying he wish he coud have seen it. Wasn't funny then but is now. When i hear the word Bantams, this all comes back to me. :laugh: Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:03 pm »
I think he need punctuation in his add. 40 - 1 year old ... but funny.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:00 am »
When I moved to NS the first time (mid 80's, not married yet) I started out with a dozen leghorns. They were the best layers but were too flighty. Every time you set foot in the coop to collect eggs they freaked out. I traded them for a dozen golden comets, a real calm brown bird that layed brown eggs. They were good. In the end I had strictly bantys. The eggs were a lot smaller, you needed 3 for anything that called for 2 regular eggs, but the entertainment factor was beyond description. They were great at setting and raising chicks, could fly up into trees to avoid predators, etc.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Michelle

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:54:49 am »
The banty rooster we had as kids would attack us!  :'( Scared the life out of us poor kids!
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:33 pm »
When I was around 10 I think we had some banty hens with a roster that I wanted my dad to get, well he got them and ever time I was around them the roster would attack me. I got tire of that so the next that roster came at me I knock him blindless and I never had any trouble from him again.

Ken