Author Topic: Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline NorCal

Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?
« on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »
Hello everyone, new member here with my first post.   I’ve been a beek for a little over a year and had a really strong overwintered hive that I split into three hives 8 weeks ago.   The original hive was getting mean so I purchased two queens from a local source in an attempt to calm down the new splits.  It’s been 8 weeks and there’s no sign of calming.   In fact, they seem to be ramping up their harassment efforts.   I have noted on more than one occasion that a landscaping contractor I have working for me can be within 20-25 ft of the hives all day without an issue, but as soon as I get there they start bumping us and harassing us away from the apiary.  So, can bees form a negative association with a specific person?   For info, these bees have plenty of room in their hives, are bringing in nectar and pollen, have been treated, and the queens are laying well. I’d appreciate any input you all might have. 
(I’m traveling on vacation, but will check back here as often as I can)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:06:06 pm »
Welcome NorCal,

How rude, after all you do for them, the little ingrates! :D

Actually, I do believe that they can develop negative associations for a particular person or animal (think pet). Their lives are very short and without any additional experiences, I would think they would calm down. Also consider scent- do you wear after shave or deodorant? Try changing brands or doing without.

Others on here may have better advice and one of our members, Jen, lives in your region. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:54:27 pm »
It could be something simple as aftershave, hair shampoo or treatments. You can figure it out. They don’t like when I use dandruff shampoo so I avoid it on Bee work days. Good luck and by the way Welcome Aboard. :yes:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:58:45 pm »
Welcome and enjoy your stay. I could chime in here and give mi advice but I agree with Randy Oliver and he has a great video out on this exact topic. I could not say it better.
But from my own experience I have seen bees react negatively to some people.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline NorCal

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:39:05 am »
Thank you all, and what a great video!  I do have a very calm hive i got as a nuc from Jen last year, placed a few feet away from the mean ones.   They don’t give me any trouble at all.   I will experiment with soaps and deodorants and see if I can figure out what triggers them.  Thank you :yes:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum, NorCal.  I don't have anything else to offer.  Just saying welcome.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »
Welcome to WWB .
I've read before that if your gloves ( if using) can have stingers and pheromones from those hives and can be problem.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:11:43 am »
eat a lot of bananas? that can set them off.
has anyone ever heard of insulin setting them off? I tend my m.d.'s hives for him. he has 2 guys that do his yard work. one of the workers can do anything around the hives short of tap dancing on top of them. if the other guy gets within 30' of the hives they are on him like stink on poop. he uses no cologne or deodorant & does not eat bananas but does inject large doses of insulin several times a day.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 12:08:47 pm »
Hi Rober,  :D That is funny! and wouldn't it be nice if it were as easy as banana's? But there does come a point where we grab at anything to find a reason why the bees don't like our humble selves.

Jerry and I met over a year ago at one of our bee club meetings. He works hard at keeping his bees in good condition. He's been on vaca for about a weekish. When he and family returns, he and I and possibly another beek, are going to get into that bad bootie hive and see if they've calmed down at all.

Time is up for this batch of bees to be nice or not. He may have to requeen again and wait it out..again, or simply move the hive to a different location until the bad bootie girls shape up their attitude.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:23 pm »
Just out of curiosity, do you wear glasses NorCal?  Sunglasses?  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline NorCal

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:26 pm »
I rarely eat bananas, and don’t wear sunglasses in the apiary.   I’m going to try switching deodorants and soap when I get home and see if that helps ;)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:16 pm »
Hey Jer! A thought, unscented laundry soap, unscented fabric softener sheets, unscented deodorant, unscented shampoo, unscented toothpaste, unscented gum, unscented beer...

kidding………  :D :laugh: ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 11:55:32 am »
unscented beer?!........ :D

hey norcal, welcome to our great forum and thanks for posting!

what do you wear when working the bees? bee suit, bee jacket, etc.... do you wash it?

do you wear a hat? baseball hat, straw hat? when near the bees?
what are you wearing when the bees start bumping/harrassing you? dark colors or light colors? 

also, know it sounds weird, are you an average size fella?  or do you look like a BEAR to the bees?......... :D :D :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline NorCal

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
I wear a full suit when working bees (I’m allergic to stings now).  My suit is white in color and I wash it frequently in Dreft.  I washed it in Dreft all last year without problem.  The bees have tried stinging me through my gloves, so i’ve Taken to brushing them frequently, followed by a light coating coating of white vinegar to sanitize them. 

Admittedly, I am kind of a bigger guy , 6-01 and 230 lbs, so I guess I do kind of resemble a bear.   I almost always wear a ball cap when outside, but I haven’t paid attention to the color of clothing My family or I was wearing when we get bumped.  I’ll make a move towards lighter colors and see what happens. 
Bears are an issue here, but my hives are protected by an electric fence and the bear has been “trained”  :) not to come into the apiary.  No bear has been in the apiary and the dirt hasn’t shown a footprint around the fence in over a year. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »
allergic?

me too, eppy allergic. went through immunotherapy.
i digress.

you can wash the gloves, or just use a quick spray of yellow ammonia mixed in water to clean them off.

if the bees are bumping you AND your family, it's the bees, and jen has said she is going to help you figure out what their major malfunction in the beehive is............ :D ;D
Forum Sponsor

Offline NorCal

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »
Riverbee, I am allergic.   I wasn’t allergic until bees until last summer, but I am going through the shots.  I’ve had a few stings this year without a bad reaction.  I wear a full suit just to be on the safe side, with an epipen in the pocket. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:49 pm »
norcal.......wow! being allergic is stressful and going through immunotherapy is NOT a fun thing thing to be doing........

this is  a thread on what happened to me:
Riverbee's Journey

it's a long thread but if you read the first post, it gives a synopsis.

i started my 'bee journey' when i was in college, guess some would say addiction........ :D
it is, but i love honey bees and can't give them up. almost did and have a number of times.
2012, all that changed for me.  wound up in an er on a hot summer day in a bee suit with about nothing on underneath ..... :D
okay never mind....... :D
could barely breathe, and broke out in terrible hives all over.......it was crazy and i was scared.
i was angry about it, how could i develop an allergy after all these years?  it happens. some give it up. i didn't.

i now wear full gear, and probably always will. the injections have helped.
i do get some reactions once in awhile, but nothing that winds me up in the emergency room. i carry two eppy's, liquid benadryl and an emergency steroid.  crazy, but it's what i do to keep bees. the reactions are of the normal sort, welts and itch.  i can deal with that. as soon as i am stung, i take down some liquid benadryl. it helps to get it in your system quickly.

it gets better norcal, get through the shots........it will be a long road, but hang in there!
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: NorCal

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 08:52:23 am »
I was wondering, what time of day are you doing hive inspections?  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on sunny days are the best time to work your hives while the foragers are out.  As you are allergic, NorCal, perhaps it's time to requeen.  There could be some bad gene pool in the mix.  I always think of all the drones that queen has laid and they are out there breeding with all the other queens in the neighborhood.  The long term effects of that are unsettling. The cost of one queen is cheaper than a trip to the ER.  If they seem to pick on you and no one else, so what!  You shouldn't have to put up with a mean colony.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:17 pm »
Bees seem too pick up on if a person is a little leery of them? I had an uncle that if there was a stinging insect within 50 ft of him they would nail him for no seen reason and you would know it when they did,he would cuss for 5 minuets  afterwords. :D Many times i have stepped out on the back porch early mourning and have bees buzz me or light on me i guess to say mourning?  Also i've had four or more honey bees light on my sweaty arms licking sweat while working in the garden, i don't pay them no mind i like too watch them. I'm thinking it's because i am such a sweet man! I had a mean hive one time that a old beekeeper buddy told me if i would move it out of the shade and give it more sun they wouldn't be so mean, i did and he was right. Could that be your problem??? Jack

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 09:40:37 pm »
I had a mean hive one time that a old beekeeper buddy told me if i would move it out of the shade and give it more sun they wouldn't be so mean, i did and he was right. Could that be your problem??? Jack

That's a great tip, Jack, I'll remember that. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a