Author Topic: A month and a bit with my GC350.  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

A month and a bit with my GC350.
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:40 am »
I had been using a home built caller since about 2007 for coyotes and crows. I started having a issue with it in January 2016 so decided it was time to do some thing different.
 After a long search for some thing affordable, I could afford. I settled on the ICO TEC GC350 because of, price first, less than $130.00, the remote range with reviews in several different places saying yes it will work 300 yards away and how easy it was to add more and different sounds. It comes with 24 sounds several work for coyotes in my area.
 I and friends have used it several times and have collected 5 coyotes (one double for Eric) and a whole bunch of crows, crow season ends when March does.

We have used the male & female coyote sound, the yip and howl one, piglet in distress. 
 The cotton tail and jack rabbit in distress sound also. for coyotes. Will soon switch to a fawn in distress.

Yes the remote works at the 300 yard distance and over hill at that. I learned to use the lanyard on the remote because on my first outing I was just putting it in my coat pocket and all of a sudden I had a flock of geese sound going, the remote was touchy and the ON/OFF switch is on the main speaker part of the unit. Now I hang it around my neck and unzip my coat to get to it and put it away.

If you screw up and go out with weak battery's, you can change the battery's in the field with the Phillips screw driver on a multa tool, well it works with mine, I tried it in the house.

It comes with very good complete instructions to add new sounds to a SD card. My friend bought one and had his 15 year old grand son add the sounds from the file to the card. Most people (thru other forums) I know with one, use a 32GB card.

You can also ad the remote decoy to the unit and control it with the remote.

I found the volume plenty load enough, I am not trying to call coyotes from several states away, light in weight (ounces are pounds in distance and deep snow, pounds is pain.) Remote does work good, battery's seem to last a long time and I now can ambush the coyotes trying to circle down wind of the sounds.

I give the caller 10 big thumbs up.

Skinning a coyote
I have seen several things about doing that. First off if you have a real good skinning knife that is sharp when you start you should be fine. I have a buck I have been using for years. We do not skin all our coyotes some we sell to the fur buyer complete with the carcass. Depends on how busy we are that day or if we want to do a lot of sets.
He uses a utility knife with a hooked blade.

He also uses a tennis ball sized wood ball under the hide and pulls the hides off with his ATV most times.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: A month and a bit with my GC350.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:19:16 pm »
Al:

I too like to call animals.  Calling turkey is one of my favorite things to do.  We have a large population of turkey, and the young males, Jakes, are easy to bring close to you.  My wife goes with me, and I usually can call up a tom or two for her to view. 

I also call coyotes.  I am so traditional that I still use a reed, mouth call made by the Burnam brothers.  They are a crafty animal, and are quick learners.  I have a few thousand acres around my ranch that the neighbors allow me to hunt coyotes.  I don't kill many, but I have a good time.

The doe that I shoot, I start peeling the hide at their neck, then put a rock under the skin, loop a half-hitch around it and tie it off to the bumper of my Kubota RTV.  It pulls the skin off real clean, with no hair left on the carcass.  It's a cool way to skin animals. 

lazy

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:02:27 am »
I have watched Tom our fur buyer skin a coyote and is as slick as ICE ON  ROAD the way it goes.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:05:54 pm »
We used to use to rock under neck hide with rope an 4 wheeler works like a charm on deer