Author Topic: My old friends the sewing machines  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
My old friends the sewing machines
« on: January 12, 2021, 02:55:23 pm »
I am a fan of vintage sewing machines. I used to sew a lot but shoot what am I going to do with the stuff I make (if I had time)   Kids grew up, grandkids grow faster than I can sew, and I only need so many quilts.  Plus I work a lot on fish ponds.

In 2012 I hit an estate sale next door to my daughter's and picked up 2 machines for $25 each, put in boxes for when I had time. It snowed last weekend, I had time. So I have no idea what kind these are, they are sewing machines.  After bringing the non working singer back from my other daughter, spending $65 at a shop to clean it and tell me it worked fine, I sold it to my helper for $10. She doesn't sew, but I've seen her hand patches on her purse....

Anyway, it snowed this weekend, so I opened the boxes.  The Elnita 120 definitely needs belts. Once I get them on I can determine if it needs thrown out. Probably it will be fine. $20 for belts beats $65 plus parts at the shop that has since closed.

and the other, well after I bought these machines I went over to my daughter's.  And the  neighbor comes and knocks on the door. And brings a cabinet, with drawers full of attachments and stuff.  The 2nd machine is an Italian made Necchi SuperNova Ultra.... It purrs like a kitten. I have  no idea what these parts do but it came with 2 books so I'll bet I can figure it out...

what's my screen
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: My old friends the sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:34:28 am »
Those are great machines!  My Mom bought an Elna and used it for 40+ years.  When we were young, she made all our clothes and we all learned to sew on it.  When she passed away, my niece got it.  It still works great. 

At the beginning of the pandemic, you couldn't find a sewing machine!  Not only were the sewing stores shut down, used machines were selling like hot cakes.  I found one about an hour and a half away.  My husband and I made a day trip of it, turning lemons into lemonade.  I am currently making window valances for my beekeeping work area.  I'll post a picture later.

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:29 am »
Sewing machines have become another addiction for both me and my daughter. I've had my no name "heavy duty " machine my mom ordered for me when I had kiddo #3 28 years ago....it has never failed me and sews even heavy denim with no issues. Back in 2008ish Iddee gifted my daughter a beautiful vintage singer treadle machine in perfect condition and she has it in her kitchen upstairs, and she has 3 other machines of various brands downstairs. I keep picking up sewing machines at yard sales and thrift stores...until a couple of months ago I had 7 sewing machines including the beautiful vintage singer treadle that Iddee gifted me with a year or two after he gave one to my daughter. When I moved out here to the ranch the folks who bought my house had 3 girls and they were all so adorable showing me the things that they have made and handstitched...their work was amazing and I felt that anyone that dedicated deserved a machine so I gifted each girl a machine and then gave their momma one as well. I never saw a woman and 3 young girls grin so big!

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:24:48 am »
I have been collecting sewing machines since my twins were born. I inherited my grandmother's when she moved to my Uncle's in Oregon in 1986, had a neighbor making a trip pick it up for me, a Japanese Universal circa 1959. It's the only one I had for a while, but I picked up a 1955 (or thereabouts) White, in a cabinet, at the curb in 1992, cleaned it up, oldest daughter has it. (and a couple she's bought since). Her twin has her grandmother's Brother, and a couple she bought since. Youngest daughter I'd picked up a portable singer at a garage sale for her, and delivered it, but she never could get it to work, bobbin in an unfamiliar place, so I found her a Japanese twin to my grandmother's machine, in a cabinet this summer, bought, tested, changed the belt and delivered it to her.  Picked up the singer. $65 I shouldn't have spent at the shop this fall, but Singer got cleaned up and belt checked, sold it to my helper for $10 just to make room. She doesn't sew on a machine, yet, but she has 2 daughters, and she hand patches her purse and stuff, eventually she might use it. I just needed room

Because in 2012 I'd picked these 2 up and they were still sitting in boxes.   I also have a White 3/4 Serger that lives in a box until I need it. Keeps dust off and I use it like every 10 years. but it comes in handy, and in temperature controlled situation the belt seems to stay good
The following users thanked this post: Grandma Bear

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:32 pm »
I have been collecting sewing machines since my twins were born. I inherited my grandmother's when she moved to my Uncle's in Oregon in 1986, had a neighbor making a trip pick it up for me, a Japanese Universal circa 1959. It's the only one I had for a while, but I picked up a 1955 (or thereabouts) White, in a cabinet, at the curb in 1992, cleaned it up, oldest daughter has it. (and a couple she's bought since). Her twin has her grandmother's Brother, and a couple she bought since. Youngest daughter I'd picked up a portable singer at a garage sale for her, and delivered it, but she never could get it to work, bobbin in an unfamiliar place, so I found her a Japanese twin to my grandmother's machine, in a cabinet this summer, bought, tested, changed the belt and delivered it to her.  Picked up the singer. $65 I shouldn't have spent at the shop this fall, but Singer got cleaned up and belt checked, sold it to my helper for $10 just to make room. She doesn't sew on a machine, yet, but she has 2 daughters, and she hand patches her purse and stuff, eventually she might use it. I just needed room

Because in 2012 I'd picked these 2 up and they were still sitting in boxes.   I also have a White 3/4 Serger that lives in a box until I need it. Keeps dust off and I use it like every 10 years. but it comes in handy, and in temperature controlled situation the belt seems to stay good

I have threatened for years to buy myself a serger...somehow I keep talking myself out of it.

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:35:02 pm »
I bought my first one when I was sewing for a living and then we got in a jam and I had to sell it to pay the electric bill.

Bought the second right after I filed for divorce.  I don't use it often now, but with a house full of girls, swimsuits and other knits - I made all my girls clothes until I divorced, tall and slender, off the rack that would fit was very expensive, so I handed them a flyer and made knockoffs of what they liked.  I made some of the grandkids stuff when I had time.

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:37:03 am »
I bought my first one when I was sewing for a living and then we got in a jam and I had to sell it to pay the electric bill.

Bought the second right after I filed for divorce.  I don't use it often now, but with a house full of girls, swimsuits and other knits - I made all my girls clothes until I divorced, tall and slender, off the rack that would fit was very expensive, so I handed them a flyer and made knockoffs of what they liked.  I made some of the grandkids stuff when I had time.

I'm truly hoping that life will slow down for us soon. With a brand new granddaughter on the way I am itching to make all sorts of adorable dresses and bloomers and bows  :yes:

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 06:58:45 pm »
Babies are inspiring. I usually get inspired for quilts these days, they grow too fast for anything they would wear

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 09:08:48 pm »
This will be grandbabee #11....if my oldest had kept the things I made her girls we could just share. We have had a long run of boys with 4 in a row, this one is a girl and her momma wants cute frilly things made by grandma for her keepsake box. I always make each grandchild a baby quilt, and now have to work on larger ones...the grands have requested "big enough to roll up in and watch tv" quilts now. When I was little my grandma made us kids each a "traveling quilt" that had a sewn in pillow pocket, and had pockets in it where we could tuck a book and a flashlight that I'm thinking of trying to recreate if I ever find time to sit and sew again.

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 01:09:38 am »
I've trimmed the drapes I need to hem, back in early January. I'm just doing a machine hem to get them off the floor, maybe I'll get it done tomorrow. They go on a north window and that cold is coming to Texas. 

Ponds got real busy, when we've got weather and we have work, we go work. I haven't tended my bees properly, I should probably get some fondant on this weekend

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 04:52:27 pm »
I have a pile of mending and alterations to get done. I haven't set my machines up since moving into the ranch with the kids yet though. I better hurry up with the baby getting here the end of May  :o

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 10:53:58 pm »
I have a pile of ponds to get cleaned, made some good progress. How's that baby progress going Grandma Bear?

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 11:11:22 am »
I have a pile of ponds to get cleaned, made some good progress. How's that baby progress going Grandma Bear?

Turns out she is due a bit sooner than expected, so we are adjusting a bunch of plans! My baby beek is busy nesting away, I'm getting swarm traps ready to hang this week. The midwife is a little over 2 hours away so I may be catching this baby myself! Baby beek doesn't waste time with her deliveries...she had the last one in just over 2 hours of labor. My time has been split between helping her prepare for her first daughter and getting the gardens and bees ready for the season...along with running my own businesses, and tending to the rest of the kids and grands as needed. My days have been starting and ending with a lot of stuff to get done all the way around. It's exciting but also a bit overwhelming.

I found out just a couple of weeks ago that my youngest son is expecting with his fiance as well...they are due in October. By the end of this year I will have 13 grandkids!! Nobody ever warned me that these kids were going to keep me so busy this far into my life...but I'm grateful for every second that I get with any or all of them.

I'm glad to hear you're making good progress Gypsi! Hopefully this year won't be as challenging as last year was.

Offline Gypsi

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 03:55:11 pm »
We still haven't quite finished spring ponds. I was off all week this past week, except Tuesday, catching up yardwork, preparing to rob the bees a little later today.  Have located my equipment and had lunch, now a cup of coffee after all dogs have been out to potty.  Then I fire up a smoker. I haven't been in a hive since just after the great freeze when I gave them the honey from my little nuc that froze. 

How is your baby beek / grandbaby arrival?  You should be holding a baby now.