Author Topic: hive headaches  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: hive headaches
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 12:25:31 pm »
Hi Baker, when you say 'by the time you got them' how far did the Sask package/queen have to travel to get to you?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 10:38:10 am »
Hi Baker, when you say 'by the time you got them' how far did the Sask package/queen have to travel to get to you?
Sorry about not being clear.  A friend of mine who works for one of the large delivery companies called me.  Mann Lake was shipping packages by this company and one of the packages on a pallet had been damaged and bees were flying everywhere.  They contacted her to take them off her hands and they would let insurance settle the loss.  It wasn't clear how long the bees had been sitting on a dock somewhere but the packages were light as a feather because the feeder cans were empty or almost empty.  I said I would take two, because I didn't have that much woodenware setting around empty.  She didn't realize at the time that each package was labeled with the breed of bees.  It was dark by the time she got to my house.  I had sugar water ready and misted them down as a food source for the night.
My friend called me a day or two later to say that the breed of bees was labeled on each package and that some were Saskatraz.  Luckily, because I was lazy, I was able to retrace my steps and determine which hive contained the Saskatraz.  The other package was Carnolians. 
It was a close call for that pallet.  Another couple took 30 packages, I took two, and my friend ended up with a couple of them too.  She didn't have the woodenware available either.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2022, 12:19:28 pm »
Wow! That was an episode for sure. I'm keeping my personal apiary at no more than 3 hives these days, although I did take on 2 hives at our fairgrounds because they were in trouble. But if I had a chance at a Sask or Carni I would take it. Lucky you to learn about them.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 09:21:26 am »
i've had good luck with italians & saskatraz. i like the carniolans but propolise the frames so heavily that they are hard to work. had good luck with michael palmer's queens to. i gave up on wayne's bees because his local post office could not get their act together to overnight them 3 mailings arrived 4 days, 5 days, & 4 days. none survived. wayne ate the charges. hopefully the P.O. insurance covered his losses. i'm currently raising some minnesota hygienic queens.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 09:48:55 am »
i'm currently raising some minnesota hygienic queens.

Marla runs a great program at the U of M.  They are about 1.5 hours from here.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 11:08:06 pm »
Is Marla Spivak still running that? man I talked to her ages ago about those bees...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 11:35:12 am »
Is Marla Spivak still running that? man I talked to her ages ago about those bees...
She's still there although I think I heard she is talking about retirement.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 05:56:20 pm »
Very nice lady to talk to!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline vvand111

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 09:05:00 pm »
This is to all but IDEE specifically.  Idee you posted 1 time about somthing that really works well for wax moth protection. I cannot find it but I am in need.    As to the descendants of my waynes bees, I have just harvested and spun over 100full frames of honey today. Full day work as all bottled and labeled as well.   Now I am going to need to keep those frames safley until spring. Many will go back on hives for a small fall harvest , but many are left to store and I do not have enough room in freezer right now.
Super harvest for this little guy and more to go.

Thank you for your inspiration and knowledge you have shared with me.  I am now doing it for others.  Its very cool to see people get tuned into this.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 09:57:32 pm »
Here are some posts to look at. Glad to hear the Wayne's bees are doing well.

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=5867.msg75546#msg75546

Yep, it's enjoyable to watch the excitement of others as they learn these little bugs that fascinate us.
Modify message
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein