Author Topic: If you build it......  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
If you build it......
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:46:28 am »
......you will almost immediately regret you didn't build it bigger!
Even before the walls had gone up, my wife was staring at my bee stuff in the basement and said "I don't think the building is going to be big enough".
I guess I don't have that good spacial acuity thing going on because she was absolutely right.  :o

At 216 square feet (12 x 18), I have quickly determined I probably need a building around 1,000 sq ft. With my honey supers stacked along one wall, the 55 deeps I built stacked next to them, a stack of pieces I've cut to build 60 mediums and 10 shallows, I am almost out of room! Add to that my solar extractor, a bunch of nucs, escapes, excluders, lids, etc. Not sure where I'll put the mediums as I build them.
I haven't even thought about moving any of my extracting line in there yet!

A word to the wise for anyone thinking about building a shop/honey house. Figure out what you think you'll need, and at least double it!  ;D

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: If you build it......
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:52:07 am »
Indeed Perry!
   Doesnt seem too bad until the supers start coming off to be stored..  THAT is when you stand back and scratch your head thinking...  where the heck did ALL of this stuff come from?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:54 pm »
I just thought of something else, I have to buy frames for all of those boxes and nucs! That's around 1,300 frames and then there's the boxes of foundation.
There goes the basement that actually had a bit of an empty spot in it from moving all the other stuff out.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 03:15:13 pm »
All work sheds should be built with a front, two sides, and a roof. The back should be open and ready to add to.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »
Wow, all that newly built equipment looks great...Just built an upstairs Perry.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:57:11 pm »
If I ever find the funds to build a shop an those 2 acres we picked up just outside of town, something with a concrete floor and about 1,000 sq. ft. will do.
I sort of looked into those steel type buildings (future steel) but some of the reviews were squiffy. I like the idea of no paint or roofing:D
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:16:52 pm »
I don't like to say i told you so, ;D remember when you started building your honey house ??? I TOLD YOU SO. :D I had a 24 ft. wide 30 ft. long and 10 ft. high built last year and it was full before they put the doors  up :o Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 05:43:03 pm »
Perry, just be happy with what you have and make do with it. It's a battle you can't win.

I built 10,000 sq. ft. in 1990. I rented the 3500 sq. ft. I left again in 1991. I bought 96,000 sq. ft. in 1994. I was throwing stuff out in 1995 to make room to put the stuff coming in.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »
Truer words never spoken iddee. Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 06:41:58 pm »
If I ever find the funds to build a shop an those 2 acres we picked up just outside of town, something with a concrete floor and about 1,000 sq. ft. will do.
I sort of looked into those steel type buildings (future steel) but some of the reviews were squiffy. I like the idea of no paint or roofing:D

hehe, had a lot of stuff to say about 1000 sq foot being enough..  but the others have already spoken up and stole my thunder..    ANY size will do, until its full, then you need more...
   We built a two car garage.. half for me, half for her...   I started filling my half.. supers along the walls, bench to work on in the back. weight bench etc etc...   enough room for my truck...
    My JUNK has had to find a new place to reside, and my truck now sits outside.. her car and her truck sit inside, along with all the rest of HER stuff...  then she decided to open a candle shop and took over MY store...   I am now relegated to a 18 by 24 area, though I do have some storage in the back unheated section of the building..  She only let me get away with that much space because SHE benefits from honey and wax, and I needed a place to make hives and extract honey..
   SO...  in the future..  PLAN out the space you need...  so if your REAL certain 1000 sq foot will do, make it 3000 sq foot when you build it!!!   THEN LOCK THE DOOR and post a sign.. NO WOMAN that I am married to ALLOWED!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:54:56 am »
One of these would be quick easy and cheaper than building from scratch and they may even finance. Just a thought, school boards are alwasy unloading them and always buy of lease new ones.
http://newglasgow.estatesincanada.com/houses-for-sale/portable-classroom-for-sale-delivery-included-in-price_334616.html
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:48:16 am »
One of these would be quick easy and cheaper than building from scratch and they may even finance. Just a thought, school boards are alwasy unloading them and always buy of lease new ones.
http://newglasgow.estatesincanada.com/houses-for-sale/portable-classroom-for-sale-delivery-included-in-price_334616.html

Hey Keith. Those 2 units came from a school in New Minas, about 5 k from where we live. They moved them to an apple orchard until they were sold. That orchard is less than a kilometer from here. I noticed them at that point, but they were already sold. I called the school board to see if there were anymore in the system, but those were the last 2.(the ad is about 2 to 3 years old. It would have been almost perfect, especially at the asking price and set up.
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:24:15 am »
Keep A look out they do come up from time to time. You can also look a little further away as once they have them on a truck a little extra mileage is not that more expensive to pay for
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:28 pm »
That would have been a sweet deal. Might have gotten both of them for a good price. Would have looked good sitting on that two acres!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 10:35:06 pm »
I agree Perry.  You are over-stocked.  You need some room to move around.  I think you probably need to go ahead and ship half of that equipment to me.  The zip code for Asheboro is 27205 . . .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Andy