Author Topic: A solemn moment  (Read 1767 times)

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
A solemn moment
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:41:52 am »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: A solemn moment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Iddee. I saved a link to show it to Sweet Wife later. Her grandfather was the captain of the Arizona, he went down fighting the ship and his remains were never recovered.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »
Watching this video gave me chills.
Neil, thank you for sharing with us the history of your wife's Grandfather. 
My niece was just there two days ago.  My Mother had visited the memorial at one time.  It is a deeply moving experience.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »
Thank you Iddee, prayers go out to all these families. My father and hubby's father both made it home from this war. My brother served in Vietnam, and was drafted early in the war and was on the front lines, he made it home. Hubby's brother served in the Navy and made it home.

Many years ago I saw a documentary on the Discover channel. Not so long ago, an american ship and a japanese ship met half way across the waters, with the intent to try and heal the deep and devastating emotional wounds caused on December 7, 1941, which in turn caused the americans to send a bomb to Japan and level that country. Both ships of men were uncertain as to what reaction would come from each group of american and japanese men once they joined each others ships, some of which were elderly soldiers from both countries that survived that catastrophic event, some were decendants of fathers and grandfathers that fought in the midst of all that tragedy.

So heartwarming and teary to watch all those men from each country hug each other and cry and cry and cry. We the audience could hear them saying "I'm so sorry, so sorry that this event killed your people and our people." " Please lets not let this happen ever again."

I will never forget that documentary, it moved me deeply.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:11 am »
And we still buy Japanese cars today.
Some day we will by products from thre home country of the world trade tower terrioest.

Remember and forget all those who died as a result.
Makes me sick way we honor our fallen.

:D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.