Author Topic: Need help have bugs  (Read 19550 times)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Need help have bugs
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:05:25 pm »
Not sure what happened last night but all of a sudden my computer shut down and restarted on its own.
Then from nowhere it was playing the audio of advertisement and news, sounded like several stations all at once, but mostly just short blips.

I turned everything off and then started deleting some of the lesser used apps, no luck.

Did a deep total scan using malbytes malware and came up with 49 things,cleared them all out, ran avg and it came up empty, restored for several days back, no luck. This is driving me nuts.

Anybody???
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Need help have bugs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:24:14 pm »
Have you downloaded something "free" very recently?  Sometimes, I suspect the majority of times, a free download is going to include a bunch of unwanted programs they take over our browser or add a toolbar.  Go through your list of programs you find at the 'uninstall' programs button in your control panel.  Delete anything that came along with a recent download.  I find the unwanted programs by looking for the date it was downloaded.  I know its a complicated problem and these are rookie solutions, but I hope it helps in some way.  :)

P.S. try malwarebytes to find those bad programs.  I think you can have a free 30 day trial.  If you download it, opt out of downloading extra programs.
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
Do you have avast installed? If not, download it now and run a scan. There is a free and a paid version. Use the free version, then decide later if that is enough or if you want to upgrade to the paid.

www.avast.com
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:01:09 pm »
you have a virus of some sort george, i wondered about that lastnight when we we were yammering.....

willing to help you out or troubleshoot but email would be easier.......
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
RB, I would try to do it here. It may be traveling by email.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:12 am »
You may also want to consider superantispyware and spybot search and destroy.  they're free and available on cnet for download.  All these programs seems to look for different things, so the more you use, the more you might find hiding out there.

Good luck!  I hate nasties.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

g......what's up with it today?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:07:52 pm »
When this is happening, hit control-alt-delete and open the task manager. Look at the applications tab and processes tab. It may give you a clue to what is running. You will also be able to end task after highlighting suspect program.Then go into control panels and go to add /remove programs and see if it's listed there. Even a free ride along on a freeware/shareware should show in this list. remove the offending program and that should help.
 Can you do a system restore to a point in time before this happened?
Do a google search on system restore windows and open a microsoft link if you are not familiar with the procedure.

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »
If you send email through a server like Gmail, it generally doesn't forward a virus unless you click a hyper link or open any sort of attachment. Always be wary of clicking any link in an email unless you know for sure where it came from.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:32 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response here................

Long story short, ran the avast and it came up with 50 some files that are infected. Now for the kicker, it does have the files pinned down but keeps a pop up window in the lower tight hand corner of the screen on a continuous loop popping each file up one at a time..........."ding ding ding threat has been detected". This can not be shut off, presumably unless you uninstall avast. So I make a call to avast and was told that it is such a bad bug that the free program will not get rid of it, BUT WAIT!! for a mere price of $179 they will remotely connect to my computer and clear it...............yeah right!!

So now for the IT gurus what next?

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response here................

Long story short, ran the avast and it came up with 50 some files that are infected. Now for the kicker, it does have the files pinned down but keeps a pop up window in the lower tight hand corner of the screen on a continuous loop popping each file up one at a time..........."ding ding ding threat has been detected". This can not be shut off, presumably unless you uninstall avast. So I make a call to avast and was told that it is such a bad bug that the free program will not get rid of it, BUT WAIT!! for a mere price of $179 they will remotely connect to my computer and clear it...............yeah right!!

So now for the IT gurus what next?

Maybe write down the names of the files it shows, restart the computer to turn off the avast looping thing, then try to delete the files?  Maybe try going back to a restore point a week or month ago?  I hope you can figure out a cure.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 07:27:12 am »
Any idea how or where you picked this up G3?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:04:45 am »
Any idea how or where you picked this up G3?

Probably dont want to know WHAT he was looking at Perry!!!!!       ;D

I use AVG Free and Spybot Search and destroy..   Havent had any problems with using AVG, and spybot is more for spyware, and cleaning up cookies etc..   Good advice on restoring to an earlier time..  I've had to do that after the kids used my computer.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:11 am »
I actually do not know where it came from, but my best guess would be some of the free gif images I have down loaded lately. Just had figured out how to really do that so was playing up a storm. That is over.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:13:31 pm »
g, unfortunately, system restore typically sometimes does not help when it comes to malware infections.  these are usually hidden registry entries and are very stubborn.  what operating system do you have?  are you running windows 7?  in win7 there is an advanced recovery tool, when system restore fails. 

for all of the headache of running in circles, really is to just start over, do you have a system image? do you have your operating system on a disk? lol, do you have a backup of all of your files?

there are lots of tools out there to rid pc's of all sorts of infections, but if one doesn't know what they are doing with these, you might do more harm than good.

microsoft has a free malware removal tool, you might try it, it's here:

MALICIOUS SOFTWARE REMOVAL TOOL

;D
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 01:00:14 pm »
you might try microsofts saftey scanner as well, apparently it works similiar to a program i have used (combofix- don't use this without some direction btw.):  anything you are using to scan g, if it provides a list of the offending entries, post them here if you can, sometimes some of the tools available target specific malware infections:

MICROSOFT SAFETY SCANNER
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
You might try running antimalwarebites in safe mode (restart the computer and hit f-12 I think to enter safe mode).  I'm grasping at straws here, but I don't want you to have to reinstall windows.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline rrog13

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:22 pm »
I've had good results using the Kaspersky rescue disk in the past.  Download the iso and burn it to a cd, then boot to the cd. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5061-kaspersky-rescue-disk.html

I'd also click Start | All Programs | Select the "Statup" directory and make sure there's no suspicious programs or scripts in there launching during logon.

Hope it helps.

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 06:33:26 am »
I am actually impressed at how well MS security Essentials does work.  A friend of mine had a bug that kept randomly opening windows and such, and I wondered why Security essentials didn't pick this up. turns out he rarely uses this particular computer and the bug was there for a long time. I ran the windows updates for him and XP should have had the essentials package added to the operating system in the process of auto updating. Turns out the bug kept XP from auto installing the update that included the security package.  I did a manual install of the essentials package and ran the scan. It quarantined several malicious programs. However, with this ugly stuff, it apparently was attached to a couple registry files so upon restart the ntldr file was missing and did not let the machine start loading windows at startup. It required getting the install disk out and going into the recovery console and copying these files back onto the hard drive.
This is why it's always best to keep your software and security up to date. And be cautious of email attachments with hyperlinks. If you have java and adobe on your computer keep those up to date every chance you get because they are two of the biggest security threats that are widely used.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 02:35:04 pm »
And be cautious of email attachments with hyperlinks.

Beware of attachments in emails, too.

I got an email yesterday that looked just like it came from Amazon.com.  It didn't.  It had an attachment that looked like it would search for credit card numbers and such.  I forwarded it to Amazon so they can deal with it.

Emails are kind of like beekeeping.  When in doubt, do nothing.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs