Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the kennels  (Read 2397 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
A funny thing happened on the way to the kennels
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:21:08 am »
 We were out all day working on grandaughter's cabin and visiting with great grandson. So we were late getting home. I'm out feeding animals after dark and I heard a loud crash at the garden's fence. Also where I have my apiary. I'm thinking "Bear?". So I head over to where I can spotlight the fence and a doe deer has a hind hoof stuck in the fence and is struggling for all she's worth.
 I called Sweet Wife out so she could call the meat wagon if I get my brains kicked out and I headed down there. When I got about ten yards away she started really freaking and thrashing about. All I knew to do was to talk calmly to her and try to soothe her. When I got to her, I saw her foot had gone through chicken wire and literally made a snare around her hoof. So while continuing to talk calmly to her as if she were a green filly I was training, I worked the wire one strand at a time over her hoof and she stood stock still for me the whole time, maybe 10 minutes. When I got it loose, I let go of her hoof and off she went bounding lickety split in the woods.
 I decided to post this while sitting here thinking about how special this event was. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the kennels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 02:47:39 am »
Love stories like this Neil, nice memory for you  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:38:39 am »
That's a great story, Neil.  Your the "Deer Whisperer"!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:50:37 am »
Several years ago I was driving north and saw a Collie dog stuck in a fence and hanging by his hind leg. He had been going west and got his foot hung when jumping the fence. The fence had cut his leg badly, so when I released him, I held him and took him home. I kept him tied for about 3 weeks until his leg was healed.  We played with him daily, as he was just as friendly as most Collies are. After 3 or 4 weeks, we released him and he immediately headed west. We never saw him again.

HE WAS HEADED HOME
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:27:19 am »
Thanks guys,

Iddee, That was a good turn you gave that collie dog and he gave you back a sweet memory. That's what life is made for.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »
Operation Lizard vs Duct Tape ~

We've been doing some repair work in the backyard with duct tape. Just three evenings ago, I was wandering the backyard and saw a big wad of duct tape and went over to grab it for the garbage. Low and behold there was one of my alligator lizards wrapped up in it like a crocodile does the spin in the swamp. I Love My Lizards! And they get a square meal a day from my beehives.

Took lizard into the garage, laid out a towel on the washing machine lid, and hubby and I spent about an hour with olive oil on qtips to loosen the skin from the tape and manicure scissors to make tiny snips to get lizard free. Lizard was very cooperative. It was very cool and gratifying. We then set lizard down outside in a wine barrel, it scampered up to the top, turned and looked back at us, said thank you and went on it's way.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 02:29:54 am »
I think I sense a theme. Anyone who can appreciate an insect enough to put serious thought and effort into making it comfortable and caring for its health, isn't able to let a living thing suffer if they can help it.  :)

I'm a hunter and a fisherman, but I take no pleasure in animals suffering needlessly. I'm a fair tracker, but the kills I brag about are the times when that big buck drops within a few feet after being shot.

Hope this doesn't gross anyone out.

By the way, I'd hoped that terrible incident would deter that doe from raiding our garden. Well she was back this morning, chowing down. Oh well! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:11 am »
Neil, three out of four of us in our family are hunters and fishermen. I truly haven't hunted to kill a deer for a few years now because husband and son stock the freezer with plenty of venison. And yes it still bugs me when I hear the crunch of a bee when putting the lid back on.  :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:40 am »
Keeping with the 'theme' of this thread, I have a small  :)  story to tell.
This took place, years ago, when I was still cooking at the home for children with behavioral problems (children who came from dysfunctional or violent homes and situations).  It was a Saturday morning, someone had picked up ice and coolers, etc. for an event.  The back door was propped open for a little bit.  When she left, I noticed a hummingbird had found it's way into the kitchen.  It kept trying to escape by flying to the lights.  My attempts to steer it towards the back door, which I had propped open again, didn't work.  I had to get the delicate little creature out before the children with behavioral problems came to breakfast!  It would have gotten pretty ugly if one of the kids had gotten hold of the bird, probably chaotic and out of control.  Seriously. 
The hummingbird finally grew tired and rested on top of a bulletin board.  I stuck my finger out, as if I were enticing a parakeet to ride on it, and the little bird climb on my finger!  I walked outside with it, away from the back door, and let it rest for what seemed like minutes.  It recovered and flew away.  It was as light as feather!  I was thrilled by this beautiful little bird.  I couldn't believe that this ended so wonderfully!
I have told this story many times.  That's my hummingbird story.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:17 am »
Wow B13! Love that one.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:20 am »
To B13 and others.
When a bird is in the house, turn off all lights, cover all windows feasible, and open the door wide. It will go to the only light, the door,  nearly immediately.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein