Worldwide Beekeeping

Announcements => Forum News, Suggestions, Questions => Topic started by: Binkybee on September 27, 2019, 07:57:53 am

Title: Anaphylaxis
Post by: Binkybee on September 27, 2019, 07:57:53 am
Want to continue beekeeping, but just experienced anaphylaxis.  What to do now?
Title: Re: Anaphylaxis
Post by: Robo on September 27, 2019, 08:30:31 am
For what it is worth,  I worked closely with Amber Rose, who is an expert in BVT and was trained by Charles Mraz, a few years back and she claimed to have stung over 10,000 people and never had anyone go into anaphylactic shock that followed her protocol.  I did two  podcasts with her that are probably worth a listen.

https://www.beevac.com/wildlife-pro-network-beekeeping-podcasts/

 
Title: Re: Anaphylaxis
Post by: hamptor on September 27, 2019, 04:49:04 pm
I got stung under my eye 3 years ago and went into anaphylactic shock.  No pulse in extremities.  Heart rate plummeted.  It wasn’t good.  Thank goodness EMS got to me quickly and injected the ephinephrine.  I was sent to the ER, and after release, they scheduled an appointment with an allergist for me.  I went, fully expecting the allergist to tell me to give up beekeeping.  Instead, he said I didn’t need to give it up.  He put me on an antivenom shot regiment.  It was a lot of shots, but insurance covered it completely and I’ve been bee keeping ever since.  Full disclosure - I do dress like I’m headed into a snow storm EVERY time I go into my hives because I don’t want that to happen again.  I’ve been stung a total of 5 times in the last 3 years - each time when I was not in the hives but nearby.  I’ve had no bad reactions since then.  If I get stung, I go inside, take 2 Benadryl, wait for 15 - 20 minutes to make sure everything is OK, and so far it has been.  Just letting you know my experience.  Hope for the best for you!