Author Topic: Two or three frame  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Dunkel

Two or three frame
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:15 am »
Ok its official the plague of small hive beetles has hit my area.  I thought I saw one last year but unsure until I was hatching out queen cells this year.  I've been using five frame nucs and depending on resources on how strong I made them up.  The ones that ended up with mated queens did fine, but a few that I would wait on I would start to see beetles.  I came to the conclusion each time I found them the nucs ended up without a queen.  It was like they could detect it before me.  I finally got one slimed and omg what a mess and funky smell.

So for next year I plan on trying smaller boxes like maybe a two or three frame deep nuc to get things going.  I've used a queen castle but its a chore to remove the bees especially if all three are ready to be transferred.  I have a tendency to make them up two strong, I guess that helped me out this year. But if I start focusing on just making a queen and not turn them into full blown nucs or hives, they may have too much room for the beetles.  I'm leaning towards a two frame deep with one frame being foundation. It's tempting to just add another inch of so and have a three frame.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Two or three frame
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:01:01 pm »
I will be watching and following your progress on this. I sell nucs and when/if SHB arrives here it will affect me in the same manner I'm sure.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:00:31 pm »
The biggest difference I have found is I now have to act quickly instead of having a hive linger and develop a laying worker.  That was the one that was the worst.  Also keeping them strong for the amount of space, as well as just putting one super at a time.  But things will probably get worse as they really get more established, IDK.

I'll probably stick with  the two frame deep mating nuc plan just to get them going then add if needed.

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:47:49 pm »
Perry, no SHB in your area yet?  I have one site that seems to be worse off then my other two.  I learned this the hard way...I decide to make one last hive this year with a Saskatraz Hybrid Queen from OHB.  I pulled 2 frames of capped brood and stores to make a 5 frame nuc.  I went back 2 days later to install the queen and my frames of brood were wet and the SHB larvae were crawling.  Apparently the nuc and the bees were not strong enough to keep them at bay.  Frames went into the freezer.

Jason

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »
SHB arrived in New Brunswick, our neighbouring province last year, but has not made its way to Nova Scotia yet. We closed our borders to bees from provinces with SHB in hopes to delay its arrival. Where I sell nucs it will certainly have an impact on me when/if it gets here.
My bigger concern is how to keep it out of my honey house. I pull honey supers over a few weeks and store them until I can extract which is something I won't be able to do once SHB arrives. At this point in time (my age) I am not willing to spend the $10K or so to buy a reefer container or truck body to freeze things till extraction. I also can't afford to hire anyone to extract while I pull honey and work my hives at the same time. Larger commercial operations could maybe better deal with them but smaller guys like me might decide to get out.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:24 am »
we have had she here for about a decade... as with many things bee... when something new comes into play the beekeeper will have to evolve with the new problem or go extinct....

there are a number of potential remedies that can be applied to the shb... one, find a location where the ground is as hard as rock or will grow no vegetation... some folks seem to think the shb will crawl a long way but not in my own observation.... two, place fewer frames (DO NOT CROWD) in those mating boxes and make certain that no side touches the outside or bottom (you may need to trim wax from the frames bottom bar) of the box.  anywhere the bees cannot get too becomes a place for the shb to flourish.... three, swiffer duster pads (cut into smaller pieces) gives me good results in limiting adult shb population < you want to place these along the back edges of the top bars at the very back (darkest) place in the box... lastly, if you have anywhere around with rotting fruit (cantaloupe, squash or watermelons) you likely should think about finding another location < all of these things when they rot are a breeding ground for shb.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:35:30 pm »
lastly, if you have anywhere around with rotting fruit (cantaloupe, squash or watermelons) you likely should think about finding another location < all of these things when they rot are a breeding ground for shb.

We live in the Annapolis Valley here in Nova Scotia, not too many places where there isn't fruit on the ground. :-\
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: jb63

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:21:49 pm »
It is crevices, not space that allows SHB to hide. Lots of bees helps keep them corralled, which is why folk say a strong hive is necessary.

I use cut up handiwipes, beetle jails with oil, Freeman bottom boards, and diatomaceous earth around and under my hives.

I still get SHB. I just know I have to stay vigilant.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people