Author Topic: Small Hive Beetles  (Read 62 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Forum Supporter
  • Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Small Hive Beetles
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:00 am »
SHB arrived with the first 2 nucs we bought 3 years ago. There were very few at first, but it seems we had more each year. I fought back with DE, beetle jails, Freeman traps, nematodes, and handiwipes.

We still seemed to have more each year.

Then we had to move the hives last year because of aggression. And we moved them again less than a month later, because the land owner was worried about how close to the road they were.

We requeened all 3 with BeeWeaver’s queens.

I’ve not seen an SHB since the move or the requeening. Think we left them behind? Will it just be a matter of time before they show up again? Or could the more defensive/hygienic bees be doing a better job of keeping them out?

These bees seem to be more vigilant than the previous stock.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:26 pm »
I heard Jerry Baker, American Bee Journal In The Classroom, say recently that one of the things SHB are attracted to honey bee pheromones.  Defensive pheromones in particular.  So when you open a hive and don't smoke, defensive pheromones will be released.  A colony that is pestered by yellow jackets would be a good example too.  Being defensive and a colony that is weak or on a down hill spiral sometimes go together.
I have a colony in a location that is in the middle of Kansas City.  It's in the oldest part of the city.  It sets on concrete and I have never seen a SHB in there.  I don't suppose there are many beekeepers in the area either.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:43 pm »
My friends and I have noted that BWeaver bees always have fewer SHB.  You are not alone.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man