Author Topic: Small Hive Beetles  (Read 332 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Small Hive Beetles
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:00 am »
SHB arrived with the first 2 nucs we bought 3 years ago. There were very few at first, but it seems we had more each year. I fought back with DE, beetle jails, Freeman traps, nematodes, and handiwipes.

We still seemed to have more each year.

Then we had to move the hives last year because of aggression. And we moved them again less than a month later, because the land owner was worried about how close to the road they were.

We requeened all 3 with BeeWeaver’s queens.

I’ve not seen an SHB since the move or the requeening. Think we left them behind? Will it just be a matter of time before they show up again? Or could the more defensive/hygienic bees be doing a better job of keeping them out?

These bees seem to be more vigilant than the previous stock.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:26 pm »
I heard Jerry Baker, American Bee Journal In The Classroom, say recently that one of the things SHB are attracted to honey bee pheromones.  Defensive pheromones in particular.  So when you open a hive and don't smoke, defensive pheromones will be released.  A colony that is pestered by yellow jackets would be a good example too.  Being defensive and a colony that is weak or on a down hill spiral sometimes go together.
I have a colony in a location that is in the middle of Kansas City.  It's in the oldest part of the city.  It sets on concrete and I have never seen a SHB in there.  I don't suppose there are many beekeepers in the area either.
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C., Wandering Man

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:43 pm »
My friends and I have noted that BWeaver bees always have fewer SHB.  You are not alone.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline ptwat

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 05:37:13 pm »
Anyone having SHB issues should look into H. Indica nematodes. I have my main yard that I treated with H. Indica for several years and I have no hive beetle issues. I rarely see them but when I do it is normally less than five. Maybe the have recently flown in. I also have a few hives about 100 ft from the main yard that do have hive beetles. That ground has never been treated but will be since I saw about ten beetles in one of the hives yesterday. I also ordered some H. Indica today to treat the ground around the two outlying hives. I should note that your success could be dependent on the soil you have. I have been very successful where others have not.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:45:34 pm »
Anyone having SHB issues should look into H. Indica nematodes. I have my main yard that I treated with H. Indica for several years and I have no hive beetle issues. I rarely see them but when I do it is normally less than five. Maybe the have recently flown in. I also have a few hives about 100 ft from the main yard that do have hive beetles. That ground has never been treated but will be since I saw about ten beetles in one of the hives yesterday. I also ordered some H. Indica today to treat the ground around the two outlying hives. I should note that your success could be dependent on the soil you have. I have been very successful where others have not.
I know Keith Delplane, University of Georgia entomology department,  promotes nematodes.  I have tried them and did not have any success.  You are probably right that soil has a lot to do with it.  Soil probably has a lot to do with small hive beetles as well.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:14:28 pm »
Ants to I believe

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 08:56:42 pm »
Ants to I believe

I’ve got a friend who says you should welcome ants near your hives because the eat the larvae. Other friends are strong advocate of chickens.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 09:20:17 pm »
Yes , I thank so to ants are a good thing.

Offline RAST

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 07:39:05 am »
Yes , I thank so to ants are a good thing.
Not if they are the Florida bull ant/carpenter ant. They are persistent in trying to enter a hive and will decimate a small weak hive or split. The bees seem to have no defense against them, however they are capable of killing the bee with their bite. The queen ant will then proceed to lay in the comb. They are one of the reasons I quit using screen bottom boards. 
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 07:58:40 pm »

Thanks Ptwat,
I have heard and read good things about nematode as a management tool. In addition, Welcome!  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a