Author Topic: Seeing eggs  (Read 11413 times)

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
Re: Seeing eggs
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
I'm rigging up a Plastic Tool Box to hold all my Beekeeping tools in one place and now I get to add a mount for an LED Flashlight...Mounted to the side or back of the tool box, turn it on and hold the frame over it! 8)
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
This is the one I tried yesterday, not enough light while standing in the sunlight. I'll purchase a larger one and give that a try ~

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline minz

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
What a basic idea that I did not think of.  It is all about the light. I did a couple of hive checks when it hit 55 here this week and the sun was low and shining on my veil and I could not see through it very well, much less see eggs.  I had capped and uncapped so did not give it concern but I carry a LED mag light and would have been easy to pull it out and push the button.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »
Jen
That looks just like the light I use. Yes if the sun is on the frame the light don't help much. All my hives set close enough to the trees I can get in the shade. Works great there.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 03:25:59 pm »
Minz ""I had capped and uncapped so did not give it concern but I carry a LED mag light and would have been easy to pull it out and push the button.""

My two veiled beeshirts have a handy pocket right in the front, perfect place for small flashlight.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:36 pm »
Woody- ""All my hives set close enough to the trees I can get in the shade.""

See, if that means moving over to the shade with the frame in hand... I was taught to not move the frame away from the top of the open hive, cause if the queen drops off.... you're scr---- !  I'm thinking this one over tho...

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »
I use +3 reading glasses when I work my hives I see every thing fine.
Say hello to the bad guy.
5 year Beekeeper/40 hives/ treat{oav}

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:28 pm »
Glock
Yeah, I use 1.50 but carry 2.00 in my bee jacket

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Jen
You have a viable concern. I look the frame over good before I step away from the hive. But I do it on a pretty regular basis.
As far as getting the light to work I can usually just shade it with my body though.

Offline minz

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
I have safety glasses with small led lights on the sides I was usiing for sme drilling lst week ishould give them a try

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »
Woody,  Glad you started this thread.  Now I don't feel like the only beekeeper that can't see eggs!  I had a unique experience this spring.  It's been so cool here, that the queens are very slow to start laying.  I checked my 4 hives and found brood in one.  The other three, although packed with bees, appeared to be queenless.  I couldn't find queens, eggs, larvae or capped brood.  I ordered 4 queens.  Three queens for the presumed queenless hives and the 4th for requeening the last hive simply because those are the meanest bees I have ever encountered.  (little stinkers)  My supplier lost a bunch of the queens in transit so I only got 2.  That turned into being a stroke of luck.  When I went out to check the hives before introducing the queens I still couldn't see eggs, but found lots of larvae.  One hive had about 7 frames of brood, so I did a split and used one of those queens.  The other had 3-4 frames of brood and the last truly was queenless.  So, all's well that ends well, but I don't think I can see eggs even with the sun over my shoulder.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 10:29:25 pm »
the 2.5 power reading glasses will do wonders for your ability to see eggs, as will an inexpensive magnifying glass. Jewelers goggles with the light on them are also invaluable.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »
I just about have to put my nose on the comb to see eggs.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
While wearing my reading glasses I'll see a few eggs. When I use the LED light I'll see eggs that I missed before.