Author Topic: Interesting to say the least!  (Read 2117 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Interesting to say the least!
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:36:41 pm »
everybody knows that when bees have the opportunity to build comb  without using foundation, and brace or cross comb it is inevitably drone comb right? being the case why is it, and the one colony I have on the underside of the medium frames they were actually drawing out worker comb on the bottom bar.  just found that curious.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Interesting to say the least!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »
everybody knows that when bees have the opportunity to build comb  without using foundation, and brace or cross comb it is inevitably drone comb right? being the case why is it, and the one colony I have on the underside of the medium frames they were actually drawing out worker comb on the bottom bar.  just found that curious.

ONLY if they do not already have enough drone comb built to satisfy them. Once they reach that percentage of happiness they will draw normal worker comb again.  If they ONLY made drone comb every hive I had would be 100% drone comb.
   Nuc's and newly started hives will also generally build worker comb until they reach the point they think they need those drones.  Using nuc's to draw new foundation is a sure way to get exquisite new worker comb for later use in new hives. Using a nuc to repair damaged comb works well also.
   Put the empty frames into a hive that has been restricted to a specific cell size by foundation, and then, they will most assuredly fill at least two frames with drone cells.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*