Author Topic: Foundation & Wax Moths  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Beeracuda

Foundation & Wax Moths
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:24:58 am »
I have plans to finish building all my frames with foundation, but I don't know how many I will actually use. 

Will the wax moths bother unused foundation?  I have a plan for sealed storage of frames, but it will be a while before I can get that built.

Offline Intheswamp

• BeeWeather.com
Re: Foundation & Wax Moths
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:49:40 am »
I had some supers with foundation filled frames in them stored for a while and ended up with holes in them from "something".  I'm not sure if it was wax moth or not, just small holes that appeared to weakenthe foundation a bit.  The foundation seemed "thinner" after the damage.  ???  I would imagine if I put this foundation in a strong hive during a flow that the bees would mend it up quiet nicely.  I've got a few supers with foundation in them this year that did not get drawn out during the spring flow.  I'm going to stack them criss-cross and hope the bugs leave them alone until the fall flow.  As for the drawn out comb that I will have I'm going to spray it with Bt.

I'm watching to see what some of the experienced guys have to say about this as I'm just a 3-year newbie and need help, too. :)

Ed

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:00 am »
I've had them "mark" foundation with white lines, but not enough to damage it. The bees use it fine.

PS.. BT works on foundation, too.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
Wax worm will make some small tunnels in the foundation but quickly starve to death since there is nothing for them to eat.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:11 am »
I've had 5 frame nucs with drawn dark combs and a frame or two of foundation in with them and end up with a box full of webs, wood frames half ate up, and the wire that was in the frames :o Jack