Author Topic: Foundationless?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline JanO

Foundationless?
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:21 pm »
I have a few frames with plasticell foundation that the bees aren't paying any attention to.  That's fine, since I would prefer to be completely foundationless anyway.  So, here's my question... I am thinking about wiring my frames with fishing line, rather then go out and buy wire for this purpose.  Has anyone ever done this before?  Is this a good alternative to wire?  I don't' think the bees really care one way or another, but I'd like to know what others think of this idea.  Any pros or cons, other then the fact that I  have a lot of fishing line on hand and would have to go purchase the wire?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Foundationless?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

I have seen 25 lb test chewed through, so started using 40 lb test mono line. Didnt have problems but also started switching to all mediums that year. The one deep I have left still has the 40 lb test through the comb. It is Trilene big game line, the green stuff. Eyelets are still good, they keep the line from pulling into the wood of the frame when you tighten it.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »
just a thought and curious about those who use monafilament, what about using the spiderwire?  would that work? scott? anyone?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:03:22 pm »
I have thought of using spiderwire before, but I am not sure if it would be easier for the bees to chew or not..   If I think of it I can run a couple strands and see how it is accepted next timne I swap some frames.  The only downside might be the added cost?

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:04:55 pm »
thanks scott, just my thought, if bass and northern pike can't bite through that stuff.....thinking it would take bees a little longer?..... :D

added cost might be a factor, but had some laying around here, and wondered about it?  not sure it's practical?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
  My thoughts were that it is made up of a lot of tiny strands.. that the bees may be more capable of separating those strands one at a time until they had it chewed in two..   There may be no practical difference and in fact it may work better.. Only going off of assumptions.

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:32:37 am »
Will you use wire on just the brood area? If you use wire on any frames you expect to extract, I wonder how easy it will be? I would expect a frame with new wax will blow out with or without wire. If you do crush and strain, I would think the wire would get in the way. Just wondering. So far I'm not using any wire at all and the bees have drawn out comb wonderfully. Of course, my hives are very level with just a slight tilt toward the front. If they are not level, they will build comb and it won't go to the bottom of the frame.