Author Topic: incomplete order... how might you proceed?  (Read 8062 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
incomplete order... how might you proceed?
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »
So I placed an order for foundation and frames this past Monday.  I really had no intention of ordering frames, I was just going to make them due to my complete and utter lack of "free" time.  My order was shipped, guaranteed to be in no later than tomorrow.  I even spoke to them on the phone a few times and everything was good, order was shipped, I was relieved.  WELL...  My order arrived... no frames.  As of last Saturday when I did week 2 inspection, Hive 1 had 2 1/2 naked foundations, Hive 2 had 3 1/2, Hive 4 had 3, if I remember correctly.  I'd have to watch my videos to confirm that.  I called them to find out when I should expect them.  Had I not called, he has no idea.  He claims they had some on the display floor and will ship them TODAY (I spoke to him about 5 minutes ago).  I'm in the 1-day ship zone...  The way I see it, after tracking the last shipment, I probably won't see them until Monday.  This means that, weather permitting, I could potentially drop the second deeps on Tuesday.

My question is:  Do I now spend my night (which I can't start until 8 or 9) making frames from whatever scrap I have kicking around, or do you think I'm OK to wait for the order to come in and put the second deep on as soon as they come in and I get them assembled?

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: incomplete order... how might you proceed?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
Bummer about the shipment foo-pah.  I think you will be fine waiting.  However, have you looked again to see what you have now?  Shoot, you might even consider extracting any fully capped honey frames and putting them back.  Or, you could just add some honey supers on top?  I am assuming you are running two deeps? 

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »
I only have a single deep at the moment.  This was to put on the second deep.  I did have enough for 1 set the other day and threw it on Hive 1.  It's Hives 2 & 3 I'm short on.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 05:12:31 pm »
A few days you will be OK the bees like a few days off when there is nothing do do it gives them the time they need to get some swarm cells started. Just kidding, the bees will just get on the foundation harder and faster when the space is added. A few days is not to bad week or weeks late can be a concern.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline tefer2

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »
 :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:20:38 am »
"A few days you will be OK the bees like a few days off when there is nothing do do it gives them the time they need to get some swarm cells started. Just kidding, the bees will just get on the foundation harder and faster when the space is added. A few days is not to bad week or weeks late can be a concern."

what apis said, capn.........plus the humor.......... :D
no worries, wait for the order to come in.... ;)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
The condition your hives are in, you have a week or more before they run out of room. The new bees are just ready to begin emerging. You have been losing bees until now. It may be 2 weeks before they fill the remaining frames.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »
The condition your hives are in, you have a week or more before they run out of room. The new bees are just ready to begin emerging. You have been losing bees until now. It may be 2 weeks before they fill the remaining frames.

Indeed you are right!  My worrying was all for not.

They haven't done a thing over the past week.

I'll be updating my Journey posting shortly.  I definitely have questions!

Thank you all for you help with my non-dilemma!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
No such thing as a non dilemma!   Sort of like a stupid question..   its only stupid when you dont ask it.  Given time you will start thinking about all of this stuff when your looking at a hive, but right now it is not second nature to you yet. Asking the question, and having someone like Iddee answer it will help it "stick" in your head..   Thats how it works best for me.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:09:50 am »
So it's been another week.  Based on last weeks' inspection I will NEED to add a second deep this weekend.  If you've ready my "http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,2012.0.html" sob story, you'll know I still have received the framed I though I would need last weekend.

So I'm updating my question here...

I have 9 complete frames with foundation.  I need a total of 30.  Due to my anticipated NEED to add a second deep to each of my 3 hives, what should I do?  Do I add the second deep to each of them and just place 3 frames w/ foundation into each?  I don't have any follower-boards.  If I could find a way to make time (which I don't think I can) to make the 6 follower boards that I need, then I could just make the frames, though that is more involved.

Could I get away with just adding 3 frames with foundation into a deep without follower boards for a few days until my new frames are allegedly going to arrive?
Thank you all so much for your patience with me.  I'm very frustrated, which isn't normal for me.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »
that would only succeed in making  a mess I'd think.  better to wait
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 01:40:19 pm »
wish you were a bit closer I could ferry some frames over to you.  If you want to make the trip I've got them on hand.  Or maybe an airdrop is in order.  I could probably get to Orange in the next day or so if needed :)
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »
wish you were a bit closer I could ferry some frames over to you.  If you want to make the trip I've got them on hand.  Or maybe an airdrop is in order.  I could probably get to Orange in the next day or so if needed :)

Seriously???  I wouldn't ask you to go out of your way, but if you happen to be sight-seeing in the Orange area I could certainly make a point to head that direction.  Not sure I could cover fuel costs, though.

Saturday June 7th (week2) each of the hives had roughly 3 undrawn frames.  Saturday June 14th (week 3) still had roughly 3 undrawn frames.  Based on the laying/capping & such, I anticipate seeing a bunch of new bees this Saturday/Sunday when I inspect.  Don't they start draw for the first few seeks of their lives?  That is why I say I imagine I'll need to add a second super pretty quick.  Maybe I'm too hopeful??  I just found it odd that from week 2-3 they had drawn and foundation.  I figured they devoted their energies to capping brood.

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
I would think that they will be fine. Even though (we) don't like set backs....it's not likely that a package would have the quick response to prepare to swarm so soon from being a little crowded.

I did see your other post and had nothing to add...never ordered from them. I have the luxury of Brushy Mt about 5 min from my mothers house. I spend way too much there! :o

Offline Steve4548

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 05:12:57 pm »
I have ten deep frames in Thompson ct

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
You guys are all too awesome!

So there is no crisis (again), but I don't understand why...

I opened each hive real quick today.  It doesn't look like they've drawn any comb in the last two weeks!  I'm sure some, but the 3 empty frames (from two weeks ago) still appear to be empty.  Two of the hives I stopped feeding because they really weren't touching the syrup, but even the hive that is still taking it doesn't look like they've done much.  How can this be?

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »
Feeding is always an option. Depending on your method, you just don't want a lot of unused sitting there. If it is internal and not being touched (much) then keep a small amount available and refill as needed. They use more, you provide more.

Packages should have feed available until they stop completely or fill 2 deeps with drawn and stored syrup. Sometimes the timing of when you hive them and them getting natural (a good flow) slows them down from your feed.

Offline Steve4548

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 08:23:20 pm »
My two nucs are the same. Very slow to draw anything out. The frames are yours if you need them. Before yours come in.