Author Topic: too late for walkaway?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
too late for walkaway?
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »
I'm doing some splits this weekend.  My  grafting didn't go as well as I hoped.  I got 8 good laying queens and was hoping for twice that many.  So, for those of you in my region, is it too late for a walkaway split?  If not, how much longer do I have?  I figure that if I do it now, i've got a laying queen by mid-August.  It is still warm here until mid-September.  If I do a healthy split with 10 or 12 frames. Is it feasible?
Andy

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: too late for walkaway?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »
If you want to feed them all winter, it is feasible. They will not build up enough to make it on their own.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: too late for walkaway?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »
i would heed iddee's advice ablanton about the walkaways, i am not in your region and can't speak for your area. up here they wouldn't make it, even if they succeeded with making good queens, (and i would be concerned about this) so i would wind up doing a combine/ or equalization of other hives with them.  i know you asked for answers in your region, might consider beefing up other hives?  just a thought.  good luck!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor