Author Topic: All at the bottom... what are they doing?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
All at the bottom... what are they doing?
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:07:55 pm »
Hives #2 & #3 are good and strong.  #3 must be pushing the 55,000 be mark... it's INSANE!!!  I think I commented in one of my posts that when I did my inspections last Saturday and too the upper deep off they poured out of the bottom deep like water overflowing from a glass.  We did take the entrance reducers out... they can clearly defend the hive.

I'll be doing my inspections tomorrow, probably, but I need some advice to go in prepared with...

4 or so weeks ago I added the second deep.  I put it on top, not under, but eggs and larva are present in the upper deep and they are slowly building out the comb.

I took a look a little while ago in through the entrances of #2 & #3... there are "millions" of bees in the entrance.  They're not bearding on the outside at all, but the entrance is JAM PACKED on the inside with bees.  There were a bunch in the upper deep last weekend when I inspected... but not nearly what I would have expected based on how the bottom looks.  It's 75-deg F out and a bit humid.  Could they be over heating, but not fanning?  What's going on?  I couldn't get a clear picture with my phone, but will see what I can do with the camera tomorrow.

The bottom board is screened, but sealed at the moment with 1/2 insulation board.  I will be putting MAQS (formic acid) pads into both these hive tomorrow, if that makes any difference to what you may suggest.

~Cpn

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: All at the bottom... what are they doing?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:08 pm »
I would check the outside frames in the bottom box and if they are full of honey and/or pollen, I would move them up to the top box. Put the empty frames from the top box in the bottom box in the 2 and 9 positions if it's a 10 frame box.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein