Author Topic: Pitch of the hive for water runoff  (Read 4314 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Pitch of the hive for water runoff
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:59:35 am »
Hi Everyone,
   I read early on that the back of the hive should be elevated to assist with rain runoff.  When I originally set the hive up (pre-bees) I placed a piece of 1/4 inch plywood (underlayment?) under the back of the hive to serve this purpose.  I thought a quarter inch difference (for the length of the hive) would give it enough pitch.  Rainwater seems to pool on the front porch of the hive, making it kind of an obstacle for the bees to maneuver around.  I just peeked in the entrance and didn't see any water on the inside of the bottom board, but I'm wondering if there is a standard pitch a hive SHOULD have.  What does everyone else do in regards to the pitch of their  hives?  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Pitch of the hive for water runoff
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
1/4 in. should work. Is your porch warped?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:50 am »
I probably overdo it, but I like 'em leaning forward enough that I can visually see it's leaning.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »
If you are using screened bottom boards it does not matter as the water will not stay in the hive to pool. I don't worry about it. Close to level but a 1/4 to 1/2 inch back is OK. mind you I live in a dry region with long hot summers and very little precipitation.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
I probably overdo it, but I like 'em leaning forward enough that I can visually see it's leaning.

Ditto

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:58 am »
TBH I have never measured actual tilt.. when I set my stands I lay the level across and insure there is SOME tilt to the front, and none to the sides  I would have to guess 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch variation.. my eyes have not been tilt calibrated in many years.....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »
Plumbing code, at least in MA, is 1/4"/foot. Hives, with the bottom board, are more like 24". I would imagine you'd want about 1/2" under the back. I set my hive stands at about 3/8".

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
there is no 'standard pitch' ted, you don't really have to tilt them much for rainwater to run off.....
like apis i don't worry about it during summer months, but my hives are protected somewhat from any rain. in winter months i place shims under the pallets the hives sit on, or underneath the back of the hives for moisture to run out and off. if rain is pooling ted, your bottom boards or entrance is warped as iddee has already suggested....if so drill a hole or two....... ;D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:13:23 am »
Or you can just wait and a hole will magically appear :).  I have a couple the back corners have rotted out.  They were that way when I got them.  I keep using them because the bees seem to do better than in any other hives.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »
Thanks Everyone!  I can only post from our "big" computer in the office area but follow the forum mainly through my Kindle.  So if at times it seems as though I'm not following up on questions that I have posted remember, it only SEEMS that way!  Again, thank you all for the input.  I've got some 1/2 inch plywood and will replace the 1/4 inch with that.  I figure if it's good enough for MA it's good enough for me!  I like the idea of drilling a few holes but, I'm a little reluctant to do so as it seems so...permanent.  You know, "there's no going back" kind of thing.  Who says I  have commitment issues!?   Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »

Yeah, me too.
Wayne