Author Topic: Fall Feeding ??  (Read 2446 times)

Offline gibb

Fall Feeding ??
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »
I have a question about fall feeding, I started last week with the 2 to 1 mixture, so my question is how long and how much, both my hives are double brood set-ups?
Jim

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Fall Feeding ??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:58:12 pm »
hi gibb,
you want enough stores or weight in the hive, primarily in the top deep to get them through winter months. they will need some stores in the bottom also, but they move up and will not move down to access any honey stores during winter months.  what's in the bottom deep for honey and what's in your top deep for honey stores right now?  how many frames of capped honey?  you want this full, (top deep) with some empty cells in the frames in the center.  here, if i need to feed bees, i can feed them 2:1 syrup no later than Oct 15 or before, because they need time to 'dry' this down so as not to add extra moisture in the hive.  your time frame will probably be different than mine.  as far as how much to give them? give them as much as they need to get up to the weight/stores required for your location until a certain cut off date.  i don't know what this is for you.   

also, if you are unsure, you can also add winter patties or fondant to help them through winter months.  i hope this helps a little. ?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Fall Feeding ??
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
As RB said, weight is the key. An empty double deep weighs about 55 lbs. Some of the Canadian members may be able to tell you how much you need in your area. Here in NC, we need 30 to 60 lbs. So a double deep should go into winter weighing 80 to 110 lbs. 80 for a light winter, 110 for a bad winter, both assuming a normally populated hive, not extra weak or extra strong. You will have to adjust those numbers for your climate.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein