Author Topic: One of my Hives Swarmed today  (Read 2733 times)

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
One of my Hives Swarmed today
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:42 pm »
Wow these late season swarms are still going in Michigan! One of my hives swarmed this morning so they still swarming! ( Port Huron area)Caught it and put it in the one empty side of a double nuc I just hope the hive that it swarmed from has time to make a queen and she mate's successfully!  Wow  now I have 6 full size hives and 8 Nucs in 4 double nuc boxes! Didnt have time for pics didnt want to loose them....
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: One of my Hives Swarmed today
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »
It's still exciting when they swarm even if it's late in the season. The survival risk is greater tho, but it wouldn't stop me from catching a swarm if I needed to.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:08:29 pm »
I'm in Texas and don't know that they could grow their own queen here before the drones are evicted. Late season swarms I often have to merge with a small hive that has a queen, newspaper combine

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:10 pm »
All kinds happening way up here as well. I've seen or heard of a dozen this past week. Weird.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
The only queen cell I saw was in my cutout hive, it was one of half a dozen uncapped larva, but the queen cell was capped when I went through on Friday.

The rest of mine are holding off to pull the October swarm trick I figure. I'm watching how much I feed right now.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:13 pm »
"I just hope the hive that it swarmed from has time to make a queen and she mate's successfully!"

maybe there's a queen in there don?  anyways, here, wouldn't count on this (hive to make a queen, mate, etc), time has run out, and like gypsi, i would be combining.....

good luck and let us know!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor