Author Topic: Propolis Tincture On My Arms Before Inspection  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Propolis Tincture On My Arms Before Inspection
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:14:50 am »
This bottle of tincture has lasted me well over a year for all kinds of things, cold sores, deoderant, one drop into tea for a belly ache.

When I'm doing an inspection, I take the lid off, place my other fingers snuggly on the top of the bottle, turn the bottle over and then back up. This is enough for one arm, then I buff my arm and chest and neck with the propolis tincture, then do the other arm. I'm not saying that I don't get stings, but I am for sure getting less stings when in the hives, and often times no stings at all. I only wear and ball cap and a head veil that cinched up to my neck. A couple of times I've had to put my gloves on, but that was cause I was in the hive too long. I like the idea of smelling like the hive instead of smoke  :) 8)

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Re: Propolis Tincture On My Arms Before Inspection
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:09:16 am »
Only on select occasions will bees really come for ya, you may be entering one of those occasions that being dearth. If you really want to see something, toss a few handful of carpenter ants into the hive then try opening it up,  makes for interesting time.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:46:00 pm »
Good Night Nurse! Now who in the heck is going to do that Barry!

I don't put on the prop to avoid when bees are coming after me, I do it to help them stay calm when I working with them.

Some times Barry... I swear     ;) 8) :)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »
Is what happened moving the one hive, ants in numbers ran all over and into that hive, is why they were a bit shall we say testy!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:10:51 pm by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »
Is that the time you got stung on the eye lid?

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
Yes   actually was day later
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:14:17 pm by barry42001 »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »
Were you suited up?

Gypsi

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:42:31 pm »
tell me about propolis tincture as deodorant please?  This one I haven't heard. Also a recipe for the tincture would be nice. I have a jar of propolis I've saved in the fridge and a bottle of cheap vodka I use for other tinctures and what not.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:16 pm »

So WHO remembers Jen testing the Tincture?

The lovely lady was kind enough to send me some of her tincture..  I do not waste it under my arms, I use it on my hands..  I do also believe it makes some difference...  I still get stung when I squish a bee with my finger, but generally they do not sting my hands when i have the Tincture on..   My hood I can flip up anytime, but I do hate wearing gloves!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 10:34:34 pm »
Scott- "I do not waste it under my arms, I use it on my hands.. 

Thank you kind sir  :)  I would like to add ... that when some of us have faced the grim reaper cancer, we can get protective about what we put into and on our bodies after recovery. Although I am not a puritan by all means, I am a strong believer that much of the breast cancer we have nowa days is caused by deoderant/antiperspirants, and that goes for men as well. Even tho I didn't suffer with breast cancer, I still have a keen idea that this is true.

So, for the last 15+ years, I have run the gammot on finding what works for me for a natural deoderant. I don't use an anti-perspirant because I believe that as animals we need to sweat, however we don't need to smell. When I became a beek, I read a lot about products of the hive, whooped me up some tincture, and it was love at first sight... and smell.

Now if I could find a razor sturdy enough for all this hair............

Gypsi

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 11:24:08 pm »
As a melanoma survivor, I get where you are coming from.  I am not a big fan of antiperspirant, but also I work and can't reek.  Best of both worlds might well be your tincture. Recipe?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
Hi Gypsi, I remember you saying in another post about being a melanoma survivor ~ Congrats and Hugs!

If you go to 'Healing With The Hive' there is a whole thread on prop tincture, and this copy and paste is from there, but you should read it anyway ~ The reason I grind mine down so far is because it only takes a couple of weeks for it to disolve and it's ready to use, you can strain it, but I just leave the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, it's not really in the way.

I get my prop down to say the size of cornmeal, by using a cheap coffee grinder, I'm not sure I can get it finer than that.

I had a hive last year that looked just like the tar image you spoke of, every time I did a hive inspection I would wait until the sun had warmed the hive real good, the prop just scrapes right off like frosting.

You will need:
A hammer
Ziplock baggies - sandwich size or quart size.
Cheap electric coffee grinder from a thrift shop or they are about $10 at Walmart.
A cereal size spoon

This is what you do:

Scrape off all the prop you can, or some people use a prop screen. Put it all in a ziplok bag or several ziploc bags. Freeze it overnight. This is where you have to work in smaller batches and work quickly because the prop starts to get room temp and gets real sticky again.

Have the hammer ready. Take one prop zippy out of the freezer, then promptly wack away at the prop in the zippy until it starts to fracture into smaller pieces, it breaks up like ice. If it starts to stick together put it back into the freezer, for about 1/2 hour. Start on another baggie. Keep doing this until the pieces are about the size of a piece of rice. Freeze it again. Always work with it Frozen!

Then put about 1/4 of a cup of the rice size prop into the coffee grinder, and pulse it often scraping the sides often. You may need to detach the coffee bean canister that's holding the prop and put it back into the freezer for a little while.

Now! Once you've got the prop pulsed down the the size of cornmeal, put it into zippy's and keep it frozen until your ready to use it for a project.

I haven't tried to put this cornmeal size into a cup of coffee or tea, but you got my curiosity up so I'll have to see if it dissolves in my coffee tomorrow.

OKAY GYPSI, HERE IS THE SECOND HALF OF THE RECIPE. It's very important to use high quality vodka or everclear. The higher the alcohol percentage because it will dissolve the propalis much sooner.

To make a 30% solution of propolis tincture, get small bottles like the ones in the photo. Put your propolis that has been ground down to coffee ground size into the bottle. Fill the bottle 1/3 full of coffee ground size propolis. Then fill up the bottle with Everclear alchohol or high quality vodka. Cap the bottle and let steep for one month. Shake the bottle everyday, IMPORTANT.

It is okay to use your tincture in two weeks, it just won't be quite as strong, more like a 25% solution which is still plenty of medicine.

After it's steeping time is done, you will notice some sediment at the bottom of the bottle. That sediment is just wax from the hive. I leave it in, I don't consider it in the way. However, if you don't care for it, just strain the tincture through cheese cloth, or a cotton kitchen towel, not terry cloth.

There ya go Gypsi  :)  you can pm me if you have any questions

PS. it's works better if you apply the tincture just after a shower, or before any odor is detected.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:37 am »
I have read some articles that proclaim the constant use of deodorant as increasing the risk of cancer.  I'm  not enough of a bio science person to have an opinion, but I can understand cancer survivors having a much more interest in anything that might possibly be carcinogenic.  Using propolis as a deodorant is a different concept.  It seems there is no end to the good that can be obtained from our bee friends. 

It is to our common benefit that God spared Gypsi and Jen.  May you both remain cancer free for the next hundred or so years.   

Offline jb63

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:40 am »
I think this is going on the list of winter projects,it sounds interesting.My other test is peppermint oil to run the spiders out of my barn.
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:37 am »
I always have problems with those qualified testings  they failed to mention that to obain the results they claim, you would have to use such a massive amounts of the product as to use more than the average person use in a year but you would use it in a day.  The example I use when they claimed excessive amount of milk can cause cancer in rats what they fail to mention is to achieve that result they fed the rats the equivalent of you drinking a railroad road tanker car in a month. Details

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:13 am »
I agree Barry, but by my conclusive research, this deoderant issue has been in the lab for well over 50 years. Your skin is the largest organ on your body, and the underarms are riddled with glands right under the surface of the skin in the armpit. It's not like applying deoderant to the surface of your thigh, it's being applied right On The Glands...

There is soo much media on the removal of cancerous breasts, even plenty of pics of the after-surgery, and tatoos on the chests of women who have lost their breasts. But ironically, men are having the same surgery,  it just isn't as news worthy to the media to show pictures of the mens' surgery's. I mean they really haven't lost any part of their body, they are simply left with a scar.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
Lazy- "It is to our common benefit that God spared Gypsi and Jen.  May you both remain cancer free for the next hundred or so years.   

A very kind thing to say Lazy, I'll take that to heart ~hugs~

Offline jayj200

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 05:46:52 pm »
Jen

do you have any Pics? you a vial and gloves?

could not resist

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
Propolis tincture on one's arm's prior to an inspection tweaks the romantic side of me.  I'm  not bio smart enough to make a scientific case for the effectiveness of this, but it does seem plausible to me.