Author Topic: What's this nonsense?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline ledifni

What's this nonsense?
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »
Here are a few short clips of what's happening on my hive these days.  I find this behavior quite peculiar, although I can hazard a few guesses about what it means.

First, the front of the hive.  Notice that there aren't a lot of bees hanging around.  A few are busily going in and out through the top of the robber screen, and there is a clump of bees at the base (where they can't get in).

Next, the back of the hive.  No entrance here, but it's *covered* in bees just sitting there.  Some are going in and out at the space under the bottom board, but there's nowhere to go in there.

Finally, here's the side of the hive.  Not much activity here, but at the base of the hive bees are running back and forth sniffing each other.

Now, my guess as an inexperienced new beek is that the guys on the back are would-be robbers, the guys on the front are (mostly) my bees, and the guys on the side are in a no-man's-land where the guard  bees are confronting the robbers.  Since I had a fairly serious robbing problem before I put in that robber screen, I'm hoping this is a good sign, but I don't know enough to be sure.  Certainly I don't understand what all those bees are getting out of just sitting at the back of the hive twiddling their thumbs.  What say you all?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: What's this nonsense?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:26 pm »
Hmmm, I would find that unusual as well. Let's hope you don't have quirky bees like me and drive everyone on the forum nutso  :D

What I can say is that I would have done the same as you and asked advice over this. Glad you did because I want to know as well  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:52:18 am »
I think they are still hoping for a free lunch and a way in. They ate well at that feeder for a week or 2, didn't they?  I wouldn't worry about it but I would also not open the hive unnecessarily.  The cold and rain this morning should send them home.

Offline ledifni

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:57:50 am »
Will do.  The other thing to add here is that up until a couple of days ago, the sides of the hive looked like the back does in that clip.  I'm hoping that means my bees are winning this little war :)

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:01 am »
If stuff starts blooming good before we get a frost you will see a lot less of this I hope.