Author Topic: Drumming  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Drumming
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
Was reading a older bee keeping book from the early 1900's. They mentioned a method of drumming honey bees from sections of logs that loggers had cut and found honey bees in. The method as I gathered from the book was to stand the log up set a hive on top then using a big hammer or sledge drum on the log starting on the bottom working your way up. Book said it usually took about a hour and a half to drum the bees from a 8 foot saw log.

I have taken bees out of logs but all have been by using the chain saw method. I will have to try this drumming thing some time. Of course you need some type of equipment to stand the log up to start with.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Drumming
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:16 am »
I have heard the old folks talk about it, but have never tried it. They just used something like a stick of firewood. They said the constant vibration was what made them move. You didn't have to hit hard, just steady. Like playing drums in a band.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
I have also herd of drumming on a empty hive to draw a swarm down when it's high up in a tree.

Anyone ever herd of this either?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:57:27 pm »
I'm not sure but I believe it was Tec that said when a swarm is rising in the air, to repeatedly bang of the side of a metal shed, or the metal garbage can, even get pots and pans and bang them together, and often the swarm will come back down.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:01:59 am »
This thread is getting complicated.

I think the technique Jen is thinking of is "tanging" which is used, amongst other things, to make a flying swarm settle.

The "drumming" Alley describes is very akin to "driving" which was used in skep beekeeping. I believe a type of skep beekeeping is still used in parts of Europe.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:47 am »
Well ya learn something new everday! Never heard of tanging... very interesting and thank you Barbarian  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 04:47:16 am »
Kare and I have use the method of making like thunder to get a swarm to settle. She likes to drum on a 5 gallon plastic pail bottom and like to bang two hive tools together.
I know the next time I get a chance at a log I am going to give drumming a try.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.