Author Topic: Crazy question. How do you tell which colony swarmed?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline litefoot

Crazy question. How do you tell which colony swarmed?
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:38:42 am »
Here's the scenario: You have a swarm that has landed in you yard (meaning it's probably yours). You have a number of hives that are fairly busting at the seams and upon inspection, you have swarm cells in multiple hives. The swarm cluster is large, but it hasn't reduced the numbers in any hive to give you an idea from whence it came. The queens in each hive are all un-marked Italians and are thus similar in appearance. Are there any clues to determine the origin of the swarm other than going through each hive in the apiary and locating the queen?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Crazy question. How do you tell which colony swarmed?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:56:32 am »
Uuuuum.... ??? I think.... if you haven't done inspections yet to determine which hives are the most likely to swarm... it wouldn't really matter. I would hive the swarm, and start inspections p r o n t o!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:13:49 am »
"Swarm cells in multiple hives"
I don't know if there would be any way of telling, as you may have lost more than one swarm. Usually by the time swarm cells are capped, the old queens are only 2 or 3 days away from flying the coop.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:20:27 am »
I'm not sure. I've inspected mine after a swarm in my yard but really couldn't figure out which one it came from. Good question though.
Wayne

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:32:26 am »
I think I'm with Jen on this one. What would be the benefit of knowing where it came from? Unless you wanted to kill the old queen in the swarm and shake them in an existing hive, you have another queen. I guess though, if you knew which hive they came from, you might know the general attitude of the swarm and/or how productive the genetics might be.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:31:23 pm »
I have had a mighty impressive swarm come from a hive that I knew was packed with bees, then when I get into that hive for whatever reason, it still looks packed.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:55:11 am »
I can see the reason for asking the question You want to do swarm control but don't want to wast time looking for a queen that is no longer in the hive and you don't want to destroy queen cells and leave a colony queen less. Other than finding the queen in the hive. Or finding the queen in the swarm and take her out with a few workers and let remaining workers realize that they are with out a queen in the swarm and observe where they return too.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:07:22 am »
I think I'm with Jen on this one. What would be the benefit of knowing where it came from? Unless you wanted to kill the old queen in the swarm and shake them in an existing hive, you have another queen. I guess though, if you knew which hive they came from, you might know the general attitude of the swarm and/or how productive the genetics might be.

Agreed.  I kept pretty good tabs on my hives for swarm cells and didn't see any unless I missed them before the swarm a couple days ago in my yard.  I have a hint about which hive because the queen looked familiar to me.  But, heck, that swarm could have been attracted to my yard from somewhere else?  I can tell you this though, if you are like me and are familiar with hive entrance activity because of constant checking  ;D you will spot a difference in traffic.