Author Topic: Mother Hive Has Multiple Eggs In Cells  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Mother Hive Has Multiple Eggs In Cells
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »
DANG!!! One Thing After Another!

Got into my mother hive today, it's been about two weeks, checking for swarm or supercedure cells. Top deep was heavy with nectar and a little bit of of pollen.

But there was this frame that had this small patch of larvae on it. But the other cells seem to have a different kind of fluid in them other than nectar. Could this fluid have eggs undeneath it?

Then there was another frame of fresh pulled wax that has multiple eggs in some of the cells, and yet other cells had one egg, and a cell or two had small larvae in them. Took a magnifying glass to see them. This was only one frame out of the both deeps. The rest of the hive was empty or had lots of nectar.

I think they may have swarmed again while we were gone to the coast for two nights.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Mother Hive Has Multiple Eggs In Cells
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »
When you refer to this a your mother hive, is this the one that threw it's first swarm 2 or 3 weeks ago? If so, multiple eggs in one cell is something you often see with a new queen when she first begins laying. It often takes them a week or so to get things sorted out so to speak. The frame in the picture looks to me like comb with nectar and bee bread, (and a few larvae and eggs in the the small drone cell patch).
Why your hives seem to be throwing swarms left, right, and center, is baffling to me. When you are going through them you should be seeing signs.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »
Yes, this is the hive that threw the first swarm over 4 weeks ago. This hive has thrown 5 swarms now.

And, just today the daughter hive threw a swarm as well. The first one that I know of.

This is Nuts!

Perry, I just posted on the swarm today, 'Jen's swarmy bees ~ Guess What?'

I would be obliged if you would input there as well.

Thanks ~ tired Jen  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:38:10 am »
Your mystery fluid could be royal jelly.   If it's slightly milky, covers the bottom 1/10 of the cell and is in an area with eggs and young larvae, then it's royal jelly.   
My advice: worth price charged :)