Author Topic: Interesting Day in the Bee Yard !  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Garden Hive

Interesting Day in the Bee Yard !
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:22:34 pm »
Well, very interesting day. Actually back yard. I've been paying more attention to building up nucs then managing a couple others alongside.

So today I climb on the mower and as I pass the hive just happen to notice a swarm in a white pine right behind the hives. Thankfully only about 12 feet up. 4 trips up the tree and I have about a 4 pound swarm in a box. Take them about 20 miles to another deadout and hive them.

That gets me looking. I check the hive that has been busting. This one is a deep and medium, with an excluder on it, (don't normally use). Has already filled 2 mediums with nectar but not capped any yet.
I tip up the medium and YEP there they are(swarm cells). Well now I have my hands full. Of course not prepared, so I have to manuver boxes around with this one in my arms. Don't want to set it back down and damage cells. So I start to make up mating nucs with the frames of still capped cells. I'm now about 6-8 feet from the mother hive and sure enough....Piping between 2 Queens. One in the mother hive another on one of the frames with a capped cell. Where is an assistant when you need one. Would have been so nice to get a video with some audio. But just me there. Anyhow I listen while I work and enjoy.

Ended up with the swarm in a hive and 3 nucs, as I had placed 1 still capped and the piping queen in one.
And 2 capped cells in each of the other two. Had 5 still capped total. Left 1 noisy queen in the mother hive.

Now if each mates well and finds her way back, all will be well !!! Very nice to have enough wooden ware to get by.
Was very exciting to hear the queens. Sorry no photo's.
Tim

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Interesting Day in the Bee Yard !
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:53:00 pm »
Wow Garden! That's really exciting! Big day for sure! So cool to hear that piping~
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:36 pm »
Tis the season!!  Like christmas all over again!!  without the cold....

When you pull a box like that, set it on the BACK side of the box standing up, the frsames going straight up and down lengthwise.   It works amazingly well and no mooshed queen cells.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:42 pm »
So basically..........................it was a good day!  :) :D ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »
Certainly was a good day! I like hearing the queens so vocal. If they all just spoke up and said " Hey put that darn roof back on the house"! We would know they were home and doing well. But then we wouldn't get to stand over the boxes and scan them for so long that the back aches, or have to drop to a knee trying to save the back.
Tim

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
Certainly was a good day! I like hearing the queens so vocal. If they all just spoke up and said " Hey put that darn roof back on the house"! We would know they were home and doing well. But then we wouldn't get to stand over the boxes and scan them for so long that the back aches, or have to drop to a knee trying to save the back.
Tim

:yes: :yes: :yes: :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:45 am »
...Piping between 2 Queens.

This isn't the first time recently that I have seen this term. Didn't know what it meant. I decided to check the really great glossary we have here in the forum. Um....it's not there. Can someone help me with the term "piping"?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:35:50 am »
It's that sound young queens make after hatching as they wander around calling each other out to do battle for ownership of the hive.
Sort of a "preeeep, preep, preeep" sound.
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:12 am »
Heres a vid for you from the bee salvage hero JP!

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*