Author Topic: Indiana Seasonal Guide to Bee Keeping and Discussions  (Read 2304 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Indiana Seasonal Guide to Bee Keeping and Discussions
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
My idea was to have to a thread dedicated to each state (and of course international regions) that would give keeper a general idea of what he/she should be doing in their bee yards according to observations made in the hive and of any given season. 

Indiana is fickle to say the least.  But, I think it could easily be broken up in three parts, south, central and north.  A keeper in Brown County couldn't have said it better on another forum (Indypartridge.....and by the way, where are you?  Hope to see you on this forum soon!)  In short, he basically said warmer or cooler, dryer or wet springs can delay nature or hurry it up.  So, having said that, I think it would be better or helpful to refer to this thread as a variable or active aid.  In other words, Indiana folks would check in and advise what they are seeing.  For example, I just started seeing Dandelions last week and what does that mean for my hives?  A sign to super?  A sign that a major flow is upon us. 

He follows up with two good resources:  One, Bee Culture provides a calendar every year.  And two, a book: Richard Bonney's Hive Managment: A Seasonal Guide.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
Re: Indiana Seasonal Guide to Bee Keeping and Discussions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:47 am »
So, to start.  My strongest overwintered hives have showed major changes in the last three days:

-Starting to move from the top deep to the bottom
-Seeing 70-80% of my frames on top full of bees
-Capped drone brood this last week
-Saw my first drone yesterday, 4/20

Looking to the near future:

-First Swarm in 2013 was May 3rd
-Writing down swarm locations from 2013 to put my traps
-Mixing corn alcohol/propolis solutions to line nuc traps/generally preparing nuc traps
-Stocking/inventory of bee keeping tool box
-Preparing list of supplies to order for new season
-Looking at light or full splits in or around May 1st

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:04:01 pm »
A seasonal guide would certainly be helpful. BUT! It needs to be tied to a seasonal date instead of a calendar date.
For instance I've read where Jack puts supers on when the dandilions bloom. I don't have a significant amount of dandilions so I super when the redbuds bloom. About two weeks later.

My big flow here at the house happens when the poisen hemlock blooms. The bees don't work it and I can never find what their working at that time. Honey locust possibly?

I've never been able to raise a good queen until the blackberries bloom.
I want everything extracted when the Buckbrush blooms and empty comb back on.

On wet years with lots of white clover all bets are off. They can work it most of the summer and won't pay any attention to any thing else.
10 miles away could be completely different whereas 15 miles could be exactly the same.

These are just my observations and thoughts. They are certainly not gospel.

Year to year these dates could be 30 days apart on a calendar

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:34 pm »
I agree Woody.  I was thinking more like 10 to 15 days or so difference from one year to the other.  Indiana is so much of a wild card that it could possibly be 30 days.

We have massive amounts of Dandys and the redbuds have started blooming as of last week.  Your weather would probably be real close to my old part of Indiana, in the south.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »
You must be a WEE bit further south than I am Blue..   We have dandelions starting, the leaves are poking up, but no blooms on them yet.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*