Author Topic: Upper entrance( my take )  (Read 5655 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Upper entrance( my take )
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »
This is what I have always done, shown in open position.

This is simply flipped over to "close" th entrance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Upper entrance( my take )
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »
Same as me, only not quite as wide. Mine are only a couple inches wide.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:51:07 pm »
pretty much what i do barry, i think mine are 3 to 3 1/2 inches, i don't remember this stuff anymore.... :D
i don't use the closed position, if robbing occurs a robber screen goes on the front entrance, and hardware cloth goes on the open position. oh and if the hive dies off during winter, then i will flip it to closed until i can move it.

how wide is that?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »
Around 5 inches I figure a strong colony will have no issues guarding all the entrances

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:56:00 pm »
Thanks for this thread Barry. The ones I have are only about an inch wide. I'll make them larger. I have seen very little use of my upper entrances and that may be why.
Wayne

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »
My inner covers all have the notch in them and run with the rim up and flat side down. Push the tele cover forward and they now ave an upper entrance, pull the tele cover to the rear and it is closed off. This gives the bee access to the space above for house cleaning. I have one hive that is using it exclusively, will not use the bottom entrance.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
Mann Lake inner covers apparently don't have a flat/ deep side both uniformly depth, infact the hole in the middle I use for bee escapes, is just alittle too small for the escape have to widen them a bit

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:41 pm »
My hole in the middle is round for a mason jar feeder. I like to use 1/2" plywood, tried 1/4" but it sagged in the middle until it was on top of the frames.

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:24 pm »
All my inner covers are around an 1-1/2" wide.  And all hives use the top entrance.  I might as well not even have a bottom entrance.  Wondering if this will effect brood ?
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:16:00 pm »
crazy8days, I believe you will find that the rim only goes down but about 3/8 of an inch deep on each side of the actual inner cover board. if you take and cut the rim down to the board then 3 to 4 inches later make  another cut down to the board, I usually take a wood chisel and just knock the rest of the way out, and smooth it up a bit.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:13:43 am »
Question:

I keep bees in West Texas.  My hives do not have top entrances.  The bees often have 10 or 12 guard bees near the bottom entrance fanning.  It appears to me that they are pulling hot air out of the hive.  A top entrance would allow heat to escape.  Would this assist the bees or would the flow of hot air from the top hinder the bees from pulling out the heat?  Do you folks with top entrances see bees fanning on the landing boards?  It's a curious mind thing.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 09:17:28 am »
During the heat of summer yes bees are fanning at the entrance. A top entrance is a great way to help them get rid of excess heat in the hive.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:54:22 pm »
during a really hot day if you watch closely particularly if there is a honey flow on, you will see a number of bees, head pointing towards the entrance Fanning. it will also be another group with their head facing away from the colony entrance fanning. a similar set up is found throughout the colony, and as used both the cool the colony down and it to get the moisture content of the air down and start the process of converting nectar in the honey aside from the enzymes. It is this time when the air is perfumed with the smell of whatever floral source they are working...love that smell.
sometimes they will even get water and splashing around inside the hive a little bit with all that fanning it will cool it down quite a bit.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:49:23 pm by barry42001 »

Offline crazy8days

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »
Barry, I'm just saying my upper entrance is 1-1/2" wide and my bees use it over the bottom entrance. I never see bees using the bottom entrance. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I know during flow having them use the upper they have a shorter distance but,  by only using the upper what is this doing to my 2 brood boxes? 
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »
My bees used my top entrance almost exclusively until I reversed the boxes. Now they are once again using both. My top entrance is also an inch or a little over.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:50 am »
"I'm just saying my upper entrance is 1-1/2" wide and my bees use it over the bottom entrance. I never see bees using the bottom entrance. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I know during flow having them use the upper they have a shorter distance but,  by only using the upper what is this doing to my 2 brood boxes? "

crazy, do you have an entrance reducer on?  also, in the spring of the year, there will be dead bees on the bottom board possibly blocking the entrance.  if you have not reversed, (i don't reverse), or cleaned off the bottom board (i don't do this until i divide), remove the e/r and carefully swipe your hive tool in to clear it. 

also, are your bees in the top deep? they will utilize the upper entrance in the spring, rather than trying to take a field trip up through debris on the bottom board.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline crazy8days

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 06:32:50 am »
River, I do have reducers on. They are open to the larger slot. Bottom boards are clear of debris. Bees are in the upper box. Even during the year my bees seem to only want to use the upper entrance.  Thinking back on last year I remember the bottom box was light on stores. Queen would lay in both boxes but they didn't store much honey. When honey flow comes they will pour out the top entrance and many collide with incoming bees and fall to the ground.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:02 am »
My upper entrances are incorporated in my vent supers/shims.