Author Topic: Parent Hive Done with New Installed Queen have question  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Parent Hive Done with New Installed Queen have question
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:43:42 pm »
Just placed the parent hive back outside with a feeder jar and new installed queen. After two visual inspections and a shake down we found no queen. The bees have been thru a lot. Murphy was at it with unexpected company and some family issues, so the hive was opened closed opened closed. I was under the gun cause the queen shouldn't stay in their cage for more than 2-4 days. I am keeping her hydrated.

My question is, I want to combine the swarmy medium with this parent hive and forgot to put it on after I buttoned up the hive for 4-5 days. This is the medium that swarmed 4 days ago and we shut the door on them. I want to go thru this medium and de-queen it today and combine it with the parent hive before it swarms again, and it will! But now that I've got the new caged queen installed I don't know if I should attempt the combine.

If I put this swarmy medium back out in the yard it will no doubt swarm again. Trying to beat the clock.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline pistolpete

Re: Parent Hive Done with New Installed Queen have question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »
Everything I've ever read says to disturb the bees as little as possible, while they are getting used to their queen.   So I'd say: one thing at a time.  Combine in 7 to 10 days, once your new queen has started laying.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Parent Hive Done with New Installed Queen have question
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:15:34 pm »
Thanks Pete,  :)  that feels right to me as well, just checking.
There Is Peace In The Queendom