Author Topic: What to do!  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: What to do!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:18 pm »
Scott- ""an extra shake of young bees and let them grow from that.   the original hive will recover quickly.""

How do you know your shaking young bees?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:24 pm »
They will be the ones on the frames of brood tending to the eggs and larvae. Nurse bees! Still young and fuzzy.  ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
Oooooo  :)  they are sooo cute! I'll have to point those out to my granddaughter next time she's here
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »
in the past i have as i said, put supers of foundation on top of double deeps, if you do keep the queen excluder off.

Why do I want to keep the excluders off?  If they build out comb and fill it with nectar I don't want the queen laying eggs in it.
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 07:13:52 am »
Received an email from where I am getting my queens. He said it's been a slow start this year and will be either the 3rd of 4th week of May. 
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 07:55:12 am »
in the past i have as i said, put supers of foundation on top of double deeps, if you do keep the queen excluder off.

Why do I want to keep the excluders off?  If they build out comb and fill it with nectar I don't want the queen laying eggs in it.

Bees will not pass through an excluder if there is only foundation on the other side, they will often swarm before they will do that. Always make sure they have at least started to draw comb above the brood chamber before even thinking about placing an excluder on.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 09:59:52 am »
Like perry said, and i've had good luck with putting a couple of drawn comb frames in the super of foundation (to bait them), and after they start drawing the foundation out, replace them with foundation. Another good way to get them to work above the excluder is to put a couple of frames of brood in with the foundation, the nurse bees will go through the excluder to take care of the brood and the brood that hatches will think they are supposed to come and go through the excluder. :D Jack

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:41 am »
Like perry said, and i've had good luck with putting a couple of drawn comb frames in the super of foundation (to bait them), and after they start drawing the foundation out, replace them with foundation. Another good way to get them to work above the excluder is to put a couple of frames of brood in with the foundation, the nurse bees will go through the excluder to take care of the brood and the brood that hatches will think they are supposed to come and go through the excluder. :D Jack

:agree: :yah: :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:08 pm »

If the queen DOES start to lay in the super, shake the bees down and put the excluder on. They will clean the cells up and fill them with honey after that brood emerges, plus they will have a jump start on drawing the supers. The upper entrance would be a bonus as well so the bees dont have to go through the brood chambers or go through the excluder.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »
"Why do I want to keep the excluders off?  If they build out comb and fill it with nectar I don't want the queen laying eggs in it."

crazy, you are waiting on queens. this time of year with supers of foundation on, you wait until it's drawn, this keeps them busy and helps to avoid swarming, you put an excluder on to foundation before those queens arrive...... and bye bye bees.

like scott said,
" If the queen DOES start to lay in the super, shake the bees down and put the excluder on. They will clean the cells up and fill them with honey after that brood emerges, plus they will have a jump start on drawing the supers. The upper entrance would be a bonus as well so the bees dont have to go through the brood chambers or go through the excluder."

i have had queens lay up in newly drawn foundation in the spring of the year, as soon as she does, the excluder goes on, scott's post.  it is better that you have this space for the bees waiting for queens, avoiding swarming, than being too concerned about a queen laying up in one freshly drawn super, until you can divide.  hope i made sense?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:11 pm »
I'm waiting on queens also, i'm at the point where im making nucs from over populated hives by making 5 frame nucs with frames with eggs. Several of my hives with 2 deep brood boxes have started building several queen cups on the bottom of there brood frames. I'm putting out swarm traps. Jack