Author Topic: Reclaiming the Milk... er the Honey Room  (Read 7474 times)

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
Reclaiming the Milk... er the Honey Room
« on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »
We have a barn.  A cow Barn.  Built somewhere in the early to mid 1800s.  in the early to mid 1900s the government decided that we could no longer collect the milk in the same area that the cows inhabited.  so my ancestors built an addition onto the North side of the Barn.

The cows left in the late 70's and we transformed from a dairy operation to the produce/agritainment farm that we are today.
In the years between then and now, lots and lots of stuff has been piled into that room. 
I stored a video game (Xevious) in there for more than 20 years.  There are pumps, and coat hangers, beds, tarps, kerosene cooktops... you get the idea.
Well, I needed a place that I could harvest my honey (if I ever get some).  I thought that the old Milk room would be a great place.  So, after getting approval from Mom and Dad I set to work removing the clutter.  It took a few days but I found the far wall and the floor. 
I then removed a garbage bag full of dead rats, feces, and other lovely items that had met their demise in the corner.

It was empty, but far from clean.  I then broke out the pressure washer.  For most rooms this would spell disaster, but the milk room has concrete walls about 4 ft tall and has a drain in the floor...Perfect!  The walls and ceilings got a good hosing too.  Thankfully the drain worked as well as it had 30 some years ago. No floods.
 Once I had washed I disinfected.  We have some industrial cleaners that can do a bangup job.  10 gallons of mix later and I had a clean room.  Not necessarily pretty, but clean. 

Now all I need is to run some new electric, a new water line from the main barn and flesh it out with equipment.  Bring on the honey!

I really wish I had taken a before picture.

I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
Re: Reclaiming the Milk... er the Honey Room
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »
Looks great!  Now you need some bee decals on the wall, cute little stenciling, I mean, uhhhmm, a 60" plasma, Dolby 7.1 surround, a couch, you have to bring in a couch.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »
Not Pretty!!?? I think this room is FULL of history and quaint as you can get! I love it!

Cpn- A couch definately! or....   a twin bed with lots of pillows and a very cool old quilt. You're gonna have to rest during extractions ya know? Maaaaybe you can get mama out there... to help with the honey of course... Now there is some sweet honey talk rot thar  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »
Looks great!  Now you need some bee decals on the wall, cute little stenciling, I mean, uhhhmm, a 60" plasma, Dolby 7.1 surround, a couch, you have to bring in a couch.
some signage wouldn't be a bad idea at all!  But a TV?  didn't you see the one that is already in there?  I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. 

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
I would keep the tv as well, very cool piece of furniture, especially with a few jars of honey on top ~ Perfect!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »
Yeah buddy! That will work NICE..
   My greatest complaint about the set up I have now is that there is no nearby drain. I could cut the concrete, dig down and run a line.....     Probably not going to happen. I do have a deep sink and an electric cooktop mounted in a bench for melting wax.  It works, but I have grander dreams.   What you have there is the ability to make it perfect.
   A hot water heater for hot water is a real bonus if you can swing it. Getting honey off of stuff is much easier if the water is warm.   I am envious of that room!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 02:13:07 pm »
the drain in the floor was one of the main reasons I wanted this space.

Truth be told I only was able to finagle about 1/3 of the room for me.  What you can't see is two racks that my father has for his seeds and his desk and a bunch of signs for the Farm.  But I've got a foothold now :).  It's just a matter of time now before the whole thing is mine!  The mini fridge goes in next week!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
Wooooot! I can hear the process and the scent of honey in that room as we speak!

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »
The drain in the floor is a sure plus!  I like the old floor tv too!  You have also introduced me to new vocab word, "agritainment."  :laugh:

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »
NICE!!
That extractor looks right at home, a little lonely but right at home.

I wont take much to push dad into the corner, just get everything sticky with honey.  ;D
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 04:10:57 am »
I haven't seen a tv like that in a couple of years!  That's your coffee pot stand!
I'd add a small kitchen table and chairs, if room permits.  Your gonna get tired while extracting all that honey and you need a place to sit and drink coffee.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 09:28:12 am »

I modified an old RCA TV similar to that... putting a new HD Flat screen in the place of the tube. Refinished the stand, and it looks really sharp.. No curvature to the screen of course, but it makes a great TV and conversation piece.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*