Author Topic: HOORAY, I'm Done  (Read 5690 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
HOORAY, I'm Done
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:10:35 pm »
 Finished extracting the last of the honey supers 8) ,Next Wed. is the last day for the Farmers Market this year, and this coming weekend is rhe Fair Groves yearly Festival. Got lots of honey to sell and what ever is left will be sold out the door here at home. Now to get the girls tucked in for w--ter, got 5 that i will combine and 8 or 10 that will need some feeding before what Perry and Squirt shovels all w--ter ;D. Hope ya'all have a good harvest and good health. Jack

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Re: HOORAY, I'm Done
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »
:D
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »
And here I just did a split, lol.  BUT I finished harvesting before July 4th. With the drought it takes a long time and a lot of feeding to build up. If I hadn't done the split she'd have swarmed and I'd have lost my best queen. As long as I didn't squish her while splitting all is well

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:20:35 pm »
Pulling the last round of supers as we speak Jack. Got 32 sitting in my honey shack, waiting to be extracted, and another 26 hives to go. I put bee escapes on one yard, pull the supers 2 days later, and then use those escapes on the next yard. When all is said and done, I should have close to 50 full supers, and some partial ones as well. Then one big push of extracting and then clean up. Aster's full on right now, and then nothing till next spring.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31:03 pm »
Looks like you had a good year Perry with all the other things you had going on.  8) In my area if we don't extract the supers with in 3 days you get little wiggly things crawling in your honey :o. I only have a 2 frame reversible extractor and elec. knife, and cutting cappings off honey frames is alot like painting to me,(boring) so i won't take off more than 8 to 10 supers at one time. Any more than that is work and i like to have fun. ;D I paid dearly for those last 8 supers, next to one hive is a multi floral rose bush and i thought it was thorns  sticking me around my knees, finally i reached down to remove it and found about 30 to 40 bees on each knee :o.Well i needed something to make me feel better after that and stopped at Wendy's on the way home for a large chocolate frosty, and i forgot about all those stings. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:27:22 pm »
Perfect! A chocolate frosty will fix Anything!  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »
LOL Jack..  Maybe the knees wont bother you for a few days? Let me know if that works btw!!!     ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:33:43 pm »
Well lazy, it didn't hurt that much because i've had both knees replaced and not as sensitive as they once was ???. It was the ones that got me on the upper thigh that earned me a Frosty. :D Jack

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:39:30 am »
Teach you to wear dungarees! (aka blue jeans)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:58:25 am »
Or Jack, there are those big rubber bands you can put around the hem of your shorts, um, not your undershorts  :D

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:52 am »
I knew better, but wore dark colored bluejeans anyway. Bees don't like dark colors, the bees were on the outside of my jeans so i didn't get the full effect of the stings, when i brushed them off there were little white dots all around the knee area of my jeans (stingers) :o. I scraped them off with my hive tool and the itching started. As for Frosty's, all i have to do is sneeze and i think i deserve a Frosty on yhe way home. :D Jack

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »
I'm with ya, on the Frosty's....

There was a day a silly young lady at the counter...asked " Sir what flavor would you like?"
I said "Chocolate...Would you call any other flavor a Frosty"... :D :D :D
She redeemed herself and said "I know what your saying" but they tell us to ask. We had a little chuckle.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »
We only have vanilla frosty's here, but they dip it in chocolate of which I LOVE

Gypsi

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »
any excuse for ice cream is good enough

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:16 am »
I love chocolate.  As we all know, it is a vegetable.  :)  We have an annual peach festival in my small town, and all over town for a couple of days folks give away home made peach ice cream, made with fresh peaches.  I tend to get my ice cream from the largest lady that I can find.  Those big girls make good ice cream.  :)  I don't eat much ice cream, but on occasion, I love home made ice cream.  The kind made from Eagle Brand milk. 

I inspected my bees yesterday, and I am going to harvest a medium super and most of a deep super of honey.  I need to wait another week so the bees can cap more of it. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 07:55:32 am »
I tend to get my ice cream from the largest lady that I can find.  Those big girls make good ice cream.   

Fat is our friend.  Mmmm!   :laugh:

Darned right!  If you going to eat ice cream, let it be GOOD ice cream!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
........ :D

my fat cells were treated quite nicely the last two days, fancy restaurant dinner last night, a couple of pomelo margaritas (fresh grapefruit based), crab cake appetizers, mesquite grilled filet mignon, grilled asparagus, and specialty home cut fries.........i took rat's advice from another thread and ordered the 'diet home cut fries'............ :D  i haven't eaten french fries since....? don't remember! they sure were good.  dessert, a spoonful of something called 'budino', basically rich molten chocolate cake with tahitian vanilla gelatto and chocolate sauce served up with their home made vanilla ice cream.  i came home feeling more girth to me.....today, lunch with the financial guy, he's paying, i kept it simple though, a salmon blt with fruit.  never had a salmon blt, but it sure was good, now the next 4 days i am going to have to work to get the girth off....... :D

jack, my harvest was done about a month ago, all the blooms are pretty much gone now, and i have been feeding back frames of honey.  w***er?......well, not shoveling yet, so i am happy.... :D

btw, when your bees set your pants 'a fire' with stings, i am sure you will know what to do......and you don't need to post pictures of the event...... :D
hail captain jack!!!.......... :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 09:08:14 pm »
I inspected my bees yesterday, and I am going to harvest a medium super and most of a deep super of honey.  I need to wait another week so the bees can cap more of it. 
:HighFive:  Glad to hear that Lazy shooter  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »
With the help of a few friends (thanks Stonefence, Mike, and Geraldine), I pulled 21 supers from my second last yard this morning, and moved those bee escapes to my last yard this afternoon. I'll have about 20 supers to pull in that yard, I'll probably wait till Friday. As of today I have 68 supers waiting to be extracted sitting in my honey shack, with the last yard to come in on Friday. Then it's over for the year, and only actual extracting left.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter