Author Topic: Pre Fall Hive Inspection Mother Hive  (Read 6262 times)

Gypsi

Re: Pre Fall Hive Inspection Mother Hive
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 02:40:35 pm »
we are probably going to have another severe winter.  I used to live in the desert in west Texas.  Gets both hotter and colder when less humidity.  i have a chicken run built under my greenhouse table for cold snaps over 2 days, as my back yard coop was built to shed heat, not hold it.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 03:18:31 pm »
Jen:

Your internet link shows the same type of stinging nettle that I see in Texas.  It grows well on our black land prairies, and many other places to a lesser extent.  I am prone to wear low quarter slippers when just cruising the ranch in the Kubota.  Last year I walked through some stinging nettle and it stung for quite some time and for the next two days there was a serious rash around the top of my foot and ankle.  I'm glad to find out it has some usefulness, as it has always been a nuisance plant to me.

Gypsi

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 03:23:22 pm »
Lazy, I have obviously lived in town forever.  I stand corrected.  I was going to pick up some stinging nettle at yearstoyourhealth over in Irving, but maybe I could get some from you?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:33:34 pm »
Gypsi - What I would do for your tired feet is soak them in a very warm/hot nettle tea bath right before bed. You don't have to emerse the entire foot up to the ankle, because the bottom of our feet are like sponges. Just enough to bring the tea water up and over the toes. But it wouldn't hurt anything if you did want to emerse the entire foot.

I drink on of these glasses of nettle tea a day in the winter. Also drink this size glass of tumeric tea as well, one or the other, but that another story.

I would brew up two of this size glass and pour into a pan the size of a turkey roasting pan or smaller if you have small feet. Take it to your chair where you drink your mead and have a nice soak, about 15 - 20 mins.

Now that is some serious good medicine there  ;)

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »
Yes Lazy! it's not a pleasant plant when it touches your skin for sure, I've run into it a few times myself. But for medicinal purposes it's one of the best herbs on the planet for health. I don't know how to process it to make teas and poultices, but by the time you've gone to all of this trouble with the plant you can have a pound of it dilivered to you door from Amazon for less than $20. You can even throw it into your pot of stew or oatmeal! It can't hurt you  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/One-Nettles-Leaf-Sifted-Organic/dp/B00016XK2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413142447&sr=8-1&keywords=stinging+nettle+tea+bulk
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »
I will have to order some next week, thank you for the link!  and the recipe