Author Topic: Against doctors recommendation.  (Read 3978 times)

Offline ShepherdsWatchFarm

Against doctors recommendation.
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:08:11 am »
So two family doctors have advised me against bee sting allergy shots but I went to visit with a well known allergist last week and he talked me into doing it.
I've been stung this year and last without reaction but think I'll feel better knowing I took all precautions.
I start in mid-September and he says it usually takes 6 months.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my beekeeping stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Against doctors recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:33 am »
I must have missed something here. Have you ever had an allergice reaction to a bee sting? If not, and you have been stung a time or two, why bother persueing this?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
Have you had a reaction to bee stings in the past
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:31:24 am »
Just full body hives but no breathing problems. That was 2 years ago. 
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my beekeeping stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
i remember ed, and i remember the results of your blood test as being positive.  hives are a systemic reaction.  i know this has probably weighed heavily on your mind.

i think you made a wise choice.  family doctors are not allergists/immunologists, and i would, like you, take the advice of your allergist.  you won't regret it.
i wish you well through your injections.  btw, good to see your post and hear from you, thanks!

EDIT AND ADD:
forgot ed, take advantage of this offer for free eppys:
EPI PEN Zero Dollar Co-Pay Offer 2014
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:27:15 am »
Went for my consultation yesterday.
I didn't commit to the treatments. The allergy doc (are they real doctors?) said some things that troubled me. He said since I've had a systemic reaction to bees I should immediately inject myself with the Epi for any future stings regardless of reaction. Epi will stop the reaction.
That piece of information goes against everything I've ever been told or read. I've always been told to use Epi only if I have breathing issues.
He also said that people in the US have a 40-60% chance of having another systemic reaction with subsequent stings; but in Europe that number is only 25%.  ???

I'm seeing the family doc next week for my annual physical and will pick his brain on the subject.   :-\

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:52 am »
My son's allergist said there were two different bee sting reactions. A skin reaction and a blood reaction. My son had the blood allergy. As long as he didn't get stung on a major blood vessel, he wouldn't react. He reacted with the one sting after receiving many in the years before, and has not reacted to another in many years.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:57:08 am »
I would go with what the allergist said.  They are medical doctors with additional, special studies and training.  If you had hives over your body away from the sting, the long odds are that you are deadly allergic.  Look at it this way, what can taking a series of inoculations hurt.  I've never heard of anyone dying from allergy treatments, but people do die from anaphylactic shock.  And remember that your life is intertwined with many other people.  Take care.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
they are real docs ed, with specialty training, but like with any doc, opinions, advice and experience can vary.  i didn't like the first allergist the e/r doc sent me to.  my regular physician sent me to the great doc i have now.  as far as his advice on use of the epi immediately after a sting regardless of reaction, perhaps is based on your blood test, previous systemic reaction, meaning you are not under the protection of injections, and the belief that continuing systemics could happen, including anaphylaxis. i don't know, it's just a thought.

would i?  i might be inclined to inject myself upon being stung IF i were not under the protection of the injections, i wouldn't want to wait for it to happen. i say that because in all honesty, this would probably be 'fear driven' for me.  if i were to be stung now, i know that the first few minutes will be a determining factor, if i were to immediately develop hives and swelling, or any other sign, i would use the epi, but that is based on my history. that is just my perspective on it, not advocating injecting yourself upon being stung, just saying what i might do.

we are all different, our immune systems and reactions. you have to be comfortable with your doc and trust that they are giving you the best advice and care for your situation. if it's any consolation, i'd be inclined to get a second opinion from a different allergist.
Forum Sponsor

Gypsi

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »
Hives are a pretty serious reaction but I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.   On everything.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:05 pm »
SWF, in my view, it may be overkill.....But, you don't have to please me or anyone here.   Thing is, you will begin what is insurance against a life threatening situation.  Insurance you can continue or stop anytime it doesn't work for you.  Go for it!  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:05 pm »
"Thing is, you will begin what is insurance against a life threatening situation.  Insurance you can continue or stop anytime it doesn't work for you.  Go for it!  :)"

what lee said, it's not overkill to me.... thanks lee for your insight and post, very well stated and very true. 
Forum Sponsor