Author Topic: Slotted rack -does it make it hard to find the queen?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Slotted rack -does it make it hard to find the queen?
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:52 am »
Tried a slatted rack last month and a queen that was easy to find is impossible to locate now.

She is there, because I see all stages of brood and eggs.  But she is not visible on the frames.  Anyone else experience this with a slatted rack?

I sold the hive and had to leave an F-1 from II breeder queen in the hive (only got 8 F-1 queens from a $250 VSH Italian breeder queen, so this is/was important to change her out with an F-2).  Buyer is ten air miles from me so will get some benefit from this queen's progeny (meaning drones) anyway.
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Slotted rack -does it make it hard to find the queen?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:23:29 pm »
What the heck is a slatted rack?  ???
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »
Hmm, learning new stuff everyday... I'm still not clear on how it helps prevent swarming?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:29 pm »
Hmm, learning new stuff everyday... I'm still not clear on how it helps prevent swarming?
One cause of swarming is when there are more bees than space.  In otherwise overcrowded conditions, the slatted rack gives bees additional space to lounge until conditions are right to leave the hive and forage.  Its like adding the surface of two or three additional frames to the hive.  My excuse for not finding the queen is the extra surface of the slatts and not being able to inspect for the queen unless you take the bottom brood chamber away...If she wants to hide, there is a lot of space in the slatted rack.   HTH  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:45:08 am »
While it offers more "lounge space" for the foragers, I was under the impression that the queen isn't likely to hide there because she doesn't like all the light.  Also thought that the main reason for the slatted rack was that it encourages her to fill out the lower sections of the brood combs because they're more in the dark so are more attractive to her.

Of course I'm only at the "book learning" stage here.  Working knowledge starts next year.

I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
While it offers more "lounge space" for the foragers, I was under the impression that the queen isn't likely to hide there because she doesn't like all the light.  Also thought that the main reason for the slatted rack was that it encourages her to fill out the lower sections of the brood combs because they're more in the dark so are more attractive to her.

Of course I'm only at the "book learning" stage here.  Working knowledge starts next year.

You make good points retroguy, but some queens run away from the smoke and light as you open the hive (without a slatted rack).  The slatted rack seems to be giving her shelter while I'm looking for her in all the usual places.  I was just wondering if anyone  had this experience as well.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:38:03 am »
Never used slatted racks, preferred to add space via supers, in my mind accomplished same thing, never had comb gnawing.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?