Author Topic: Irrational fear of bees  (Read 2747 times)

Offline ledifni

Irrational fear of bees
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »
I've known several people -- my previous neighbor, for instance -- who get very alarmed at the idea of bees in their neighborhood (even if they don't bat an eye at yellow jackets and hornets and scorpions, which are all over the place around here).  They seem to have this idea that bees hunt down and viciously attack anyone within a few miles.  Has anyone else encountered attitudes like this, and what do you say?  I just try to educate people as much as I can, and mostly people are interested -- but some people just don't want to hear it.  The neighbor I mentioned no longer lives here, but it worries me that I might have to defend my bees against any new people that might move in.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Irrational fear of bees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
My wife!!!  :o
She bolts, and I mean bolts whenever she even thinks she hears a bee. :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »
A Pantego couple opened their shed and found a very large hive of Africanized bees a couple of years ago. The bees killed their horses, chickens, I am not sure that all humans even survived. That might account for some of the irrational fear you are running into.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20130727-thousands-of-bees-attack-pantego-couple-kill-horses.ece

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:02:57 pm »
but it worries me that I might have to defend my bees against any new people that might move in.

A gift of honey goes a long way to allay their fear.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »
A 6 ft privacy fence and no trespassing signs go farther.  And yes, my bees have both!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:00 pm »
For some folks it's like talking politics or religion.  They will never really listen or admit they were wrong.  Some folks have irrational fears about lots of different things and it goes back to their childhood.  I work in an institution that cares for young people that have been traumatized so badly they have irrational fears and lack of trust issues beyond our comprehension.  Some of these kids are scared to death of dogs, so you can image how scary a stinging insect is.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:22 pm »
There is absolutely nothing you can do to ease persons phobia about anything some people are afraid of frogs are afraid of birds. the only thing you can do is take safeguards make that fence to divert the bees flight up and over the neighbors Yard.  So long as you clearly understand it doesn't matter what they get stung by it will be your bees that did it. Seeing if you can be a good neighbor and offer them a bit of honey may help a little bit education may help a lot but the people have to be willing to listen to what you're saying. And good luck on that
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:21:26 pm by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
That's one big reason I like working with no protective gear. I tell them I have special bees that are very docile, not mean like yellow jackets.  It's hard for them to fuss when I am carrying a frame of bees around the yard with no shirt or veil on.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:52 pm »
Like Gypsi, I too feel that a lot of it comes from childhood misconceptions. A kid gets stung by a bee, yellow jacket, wasp and the mother go's ape poo poo over it scaring the kid half to death. I have seen this happen. Then there are the movies we all remember like "Arachnid" where spiders the size of our house comes over the horizon biting and flinging people and pets around. Movies like "Honeybees Sting New York" their stingers the size of a goal post.

My son in law was deathly afraid of honey bees because his father used to freak out when ever a bee flew by. Then, they bought their first house. When their first summer came around and they put up hummingbird feeders, there were honey bees all over it. they found out that there were 10 hives a few blocks away. Fortunately, that was the same year I got my first hive. So I was able to walk up to the feeders and the bees on the flowers and show him how docile they really are.

I tell people that honeybees just want to be busy, they really don't care about you, just leave them alone and they will go about their way. BUT! if you reach out and try and touch them or stick your finger in their hive, then they will get very annoyed. I also tell them that honeybees only sting once... that yellow jackets, wasps, and bumble bees sting repeatedly and bite. Those are the ones to be afraid of. Then I finish it off with honeybees don't really want to sting you, they know inertly that they are going to die if they loose their stinger. That's when their face transforms before my eyes, and they start to feel sorry for the bee.

Hope that helps  ;)

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »
it helps one person at a time, but ledifini's hives are less than 10 miles from where the africanized bees killed 2 horses, 5 chickens, stung a woman 200 times and a man 50 times (they did live) in July 2013.  And a neighborhood with an older population that don't run fast and remember things.   

I had a hive not too far from them this spring, my elderly friend is bee friendly and she let me put the hive in her back yard in winter when it was being robbed out, but I ended up moving it at the first threat of city mosquito spraying.  I couldn't run back and forth covering it and she was really pretty scared. Even though they were very docile bees.  The only one that got stung was me. I couldn't lift the double stack and had to do one box at a time at night. ahem, never never a recommended idea.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »
great thread, and great question.
"but some people just don't want to hear it." very true.....some, like baker's and barry indicated, no matter what you do, they won't really listen or a have a willingness to listen.

for myself education goes a long way, a jar of honey, and the willingness to answer questions and educate. sometimes not. i let the kids wear a veil, put on the gloves, fire up the smoker, give them a hive tool,  get them close to a hive, hold a drone, hold a frame, etc....test drive....  children who have no fear, or not the fear of their parents are very curious and want to know. all of my country neighbors love it that i keep bees, and most of my rural city suburb neighbors, except one.  biggest PITA on the planet. 

i have known this city neighbor for 21 years. she and her now deceased husband lived across the street from us.  we were the best of friends.  i have always brought nucs, divides or starter hives to my city residence to get them built up.  no one had a problem.  it was and is nice to hear my neighbors say they are seeing my honey bees in their gardens and on their flowers.  awareness of the honey bee plight has touched them all in one form another, being a beekeeper that lives in close proximity to them, i think, does make them more aware.  and so does a gift of honey or comb honey. 

the neighbor across the street...she never had a problem. one of my next door neighbors, he never had a problem, or his kids or grandkids (known him the same amount of time. sort of a story here.....anyway the next door neighbor's wife died.  a few months later neighbor across the street her husband died. within 6 months, my neighbor across the street had moved in and shacked up with my next door neighbor......(some prior history there) and sold her house.... :D

anyway, that summer i brought some nucs to care for in the city until they built up.  she literally FLIPPED on me, told me how allergic she was, blah, blah, blah.......allergic you say? hmmm, do you carry an epi pen?........ ;D  she's not allergic, has never been to an allergist, and suffers from large local reactions to all stinging insects......and the fear factor.  having a true allergy, when someone tells me they are allergic and do not carry an eppy, is an open door for me.

part of education to folks when this comes up is teaching them about what an allergy is......and what a normal local reaction is to a sting and what's not normal. what a honey bee's gentle nature truly is and what their defenses are compared to other stinging insects.  some think when they swell up, that this is an 'allergy'.  it's not, but their fear is greater or overrides anything you can tell them, and most folks are amazed that i continue to keep bees, but i get a great deal of 'mileage' on the education part and a listening ear.  she will never change, even with a jar or more of honey, and his grandkids coming over to my place to see the bees, 'help' me out,  and returning sting free.

don't worry about it ledifni, until the problem neighbor moves in. be kind to them and listen. post here for suggestions on how to handle them. sometimes they can be won over, sometimes not, but i would say if they are arses about it.....don't match being an arse back......
the saying is, " if you want to gather honey don't kick over the beehive" ........... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor