Author Topic: A Fall Flow is on  (Read 4688 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
A Fall Flow is on
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:40:30 pm »
Well it's been a few years, but it looks like a fall flow is on :occasion14:. My buckwheat is in full bloom, the Goldenrod is on it's way out, but the Aster is in full bloom and the girls are all over it.Weatherman says rain tomorrow, (could be bad storms?) the moisture will make things better, and the Dutch clover is blooming again and the girls are working it also. Fall honey is in a class of it's own, a little strong, but i like it and so does several of my customers. Had a swarm call this afternoon (a care taker at a cemetery ) said he brushed them off a wood fence into a cardboard box (said he seen the queen and put her in the box and the flyers followed her in) and put them in a shed and i could pick them up tomorrow when i go in to get my truck out of the shop, Hmmm, this could be intresting. ??? Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: A Fall Flow is on
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:20 pm »
waitin' to here an update from you jack on the swarm call..........cemetery you say............ :laugh:

fall flow? well dang my bees are wearing fleece jackets........ :D

it's been raining here too lately, barely above the 50's during the day and 30's at night.........chillly!  getting closer to you know what........ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:50:15 pm »
Well Jack, those storms sure rolled through here today.  The dutch clover seems like it bloomed all summer long here (practically).  My yard is in bloom again with the clover! :D

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:39 pm »
lucky you!  My season is done.  No bees flying for the last couple of days, even when it warmed up a bit.  We had virtually no rain since mid august and there isn't anything out there for them, even if they were inclined to forage. First frost was a couple of weeks ago.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »
Our first round of Goldenrod is fading BUT,now there is another round just starting to bloom.

Whats up with that? Its everywhere. Different variety maybe?

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:37 am »
I have lots of golden rod & lots of other things blooming that I have seen the bees on. I check the hives at one one yard & was disappointed that there was nothing added. I haven't checked the ones at the house yet but they have been very busy. I'm expecting to get a small harvest there, but not much. I love fall honey!

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:27 am »
Yankee, suggest, there different strains of goldenrod, similar in appearance, but taller or shorter.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »
Aster is all we have left here, and it's full on now. After that it's just colourful leaves and then white stuff.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:29:31 pm »
The grave yard care taker called me and said he would meet me in Strafford, Mo. on his way home (only8 miles from my home).It was a small swarm and he had them in a cardboard box and had cut a hole in the top and tapped a screen over it. I gave him a quart of honey for his trouble and he said he would be calling me this coming spring, that they get several swarms out there. I just got home and it's raining (been raining off and on all day), i set them in my shop and set a jar of syrup over the the screen and came to the house. I was expecting going to there shed with bees flying every where, so i took a hive with me just in case, but he called my cell phone and told me where to meet me. Just a good old country boy trying to make a living and helping people out. Found out his son in law that lives just over the hill told him about me. Life is good. ;D Jack

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:33 pm »
Yep, the asters are going strong here. I've been open feeding on the front porch ( much to the displeasure of the little woman, he,he ) and the last few days the syrup intake has really fell off.
My hay fever is killing me, I'm hoping I can get a few frames of fall honey from some outyards that I'm not feeding at.
All the honey I have is not made from whatever I'm allergic to right now.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »
"Just a good old country boy trying to make a living and helping people out. Found out his son in law that lives just over the hill told him about me. Life is good. ;D Jack"

it is the best of life jack, making a living and helping folks out while you are going there ....life is good!  ;)
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:30 am »
My bees continue to make some honey, and I don't know where they are finding the nectar.  There is a lot of irrigated cotton around my place, but the cotton has made cotton and is no longer a major bloom.  There are a few scattered blooms on the cotton, and they could be working that. 

On another question, will one acre of crimson clover be enough to be of noticeable assistance to four or five bee colonies?

Lazy

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 09:10:28 am »
Lazy, i don't know, but i'm guessing that like most plants that bees work, it depends on the weather how much nectar plants produce. So some clover is better than none. 8) Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:06 pm »
I was hoping for some flow, but it's just been too dry here.  I started feeding today.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »
Our days are warming up again, 88 today. Bees were very busy with Rabbit brush I think ~ Bring It!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:50:20 pm »
"On another question, will one acre of crimson clover be enough to be of noticeable assistance to four or five bee colonies?"

lazy, crimson clover is a good nectar plant for honey bees, as far as is one acre enough?  it sure will help them out.
Forum Sponsor

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 11:18:10 pm »
Raining almost daily, not nearly as much goldenrod as I was hoping. Spanish needle still blooming heavily.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?