Author Topic: Experiment Gone Bad  (Read 4169 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Experiment Gone Bad
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:11:07 am »
Lost three hives to wax moths? Went to some out yards up north today to winterize hives and found two dead outs in one yard and one in another, the one hive i expected to lose it because it never built up enough  all summer. They had a young queen and i thought she would turn on, but never did. The other two was a surprise  :o three weeks ago they were strong hives (two deeps and three med honey supers) i took two honey supers off each of them and left one on each of them and they had enough to go through the winter that was uncapped. I suspect they were robbed out first? and the wax moths took over and packed them full of cocoons and webs :o. These hives were some that i have done nothing to for at least 15 years,except for rotating the brood boxes and requeen when it looked like the were in a swarm mode. I never used BT on these hives or changed out the dark brood comb, i wanted to see how long they could last without my help and i raised several queens from them. 8) I guess i thought they would last for ever. I'll go throuh them tomorrow to get a better idea what happened and see if i can salvage anything. Very sad feeling. Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Experiment Gone Bad
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:22:20 am »
Awe Bummer Jack! and Yes would like to know more about this situation ~ I've got some unexpected stuff going on as well, dag nabbit!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:43 am »
Up until this past year I've never had an issue with wax moth, but they have shown up a couple times this year.
Just one more thing to watch for now.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:53:41 am »
I've lost two hive to wax moth over the past year, but in my opinion, the wax moth were acting as vultures.  I think both hives were very weak and the wax moth just finished consummated their demise.  I've never seen wax moth in a sting hive.  Two of my hives are very defensive and aggressive, and I don't think you could implant wax moth into them. 

Remember this is the opinion of a really poor third year beekeeper.  But as pappy said, "opinions are like butts, everyone has one."

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:32:31 am »
I've lost two hive to wax moth over the past year, but in my opinion, the wax moth were acting as vultures.  I think both hives were very weak

Wax moths don't kill a hive, they are the end result of a hive that is in the process of dying.  The wax moths and their eggs, which are already there and are kept in check by a strong hive, flourish.  It's like adding insult to injury.  It's another good reason to use queen excluders.  The wax moths love the used brood cells.  If you have never had brood in your supers, honeybee larvae leave little microscopic casings in the cells and wax moth larvae really love that. 
Have you ever seen a hive go after a moth?  It makes you feel good to watch the girls get 'em.

Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:49:07 am »
I fed about 3 pounds of wax moth larva to my chickens when I lost my first hive, so I know JUST what you are looking at.  We were in the middle of our 70 day hundred plus degree stretch, the hens weren't laying, I got 18 eggs out of those wax moths

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:16 am »
I'm thinking fish bait ;D, i need to stock my freezer for the winter and those 1in. wax moth larva are a #1 bait. So not all will be lost and i will get my revenge. :D Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »
"Wax moths don't kill a hive, they are the end result of a hive that is in the process of dying.  The wax moths and their eggs, which are already there and are kept in check by a strong hive, flourish.  It's like adding insult to injury.  It's another good reason to use queen excluders.  The wax moths love the used brood cells.  If you have never had brood in your supers, honeybee larvae leave little microscopic casings in the cells and wax moth larvae really love that.
Have you ever seen a hive go after a moth?  It makes you feel good to watch the girls get 'em."

:yah: great post bakers!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:24 am »
My wife commented the other day that there was a MOTH in the OB hive, so I went to take a look,and sure enough, it was a wax moth, but it was never left alone for more than a few seconds. It fluttered about, scurrying and half flying as one bee after another chased it..  I eventually lost track of it between the frames, but it was quite apparent it would have no respite in this hive.
   Wax moth here are un believable.  In two weeks they can COMPLETELY pack a super with cocoons and larvae..

http://outyard.weebly.com/wax-moth.html
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:13 am »
They are bad this year, i found another one yesterday (a weak nuc), when i started pulling frames i would see moths on the comb that looked like they were dead and didn't move until you touched them. That earned  them the touch of a hive tool first. 8) Jack