Author Topic: Pollen Substitute For Fall ~  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Pollen Substitute For Fall ~
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:00:38 pm »
Been glued to the books on fall prep and wintering bees.

What I need to know now is regarding pollen sub for bees in the Fall. Seems our bees here in Calif may not have gotten enough pollen stored for the winter. My bees may be, or more than likely are, stressed due to our drought, in that they cannot find enough nectar or pollen. I've read that giving pollen substitute in the Fall to stressed bees helps fight nosema, helping their gut stay healthy. And I'm on the nosema trail now like a hound dog.

I'm wondering if I should put on some winter patties or pollen substitute on now for them? This confuses me because I thought that adding pollen patties would amp up the queen. Scratching head
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Pollen Substitute For Fall ~
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:25:37 pm »
I would not put protein of any kind on before 22 Dec. After that, you can do as you want. The week after Xmas is when I would recommend starting if you want the largest, earliest buildup. If so, watch closely. They will explode when the flow hits, and crowd themselves out quickly.

Think........... SWARMS
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »
"They will explode when the flow hits, and crowd themselves out quickly."

There will be none of That!  :D  However, mine were swarming looong before the flow. Thanks for the advice  ;)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:24 pm »
Iddee, remember Jen has those SP. ED bees, saw dust might trigger a swarmfest
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:07:41 pm »
We had a commercial keep here fed Global pollen patties from Xmas on, looking for more bees to sale. He got them, but he had to shake most of them out of the neighboring trees. He sold more swarms than packages.   :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »
I'm not saying anything about my gifted bees Smug Barry ... Not!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
no pollen subs up here in north country in fall jen, in general, pollen subs are really not needed until spring. what they need going into winter months is to focus on sufficient stores.  if they don't have that, then we supplement.  no pollen patties though, supplement with what you have, winter patties from mega bee? 

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:11:56 pm »
Yes, I do have the ingredients and recipe to make my own winter patties. Last year I put them on in late January I think, 6 weeks later the swarming started. I've wondered if it may have had something to do with the winter patties.

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:08:26 am »
pollen sub does start the queen to laying, I would hold off until Dec 22nd at least

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:25:08 am »
Well that's what I thought as well, I must have misread the article. Thanks guys  :)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:59 am »
i'm going to qualify my statement by reminding all of you that I have just completed my third year of beekeeping, and it has not been a stellar history of beekeeping. 

I think as a whole we may over think beekeeping.  It appears that many beekeepers inspect their hives with a, "what can I do to help these poor girls today," attitude rather than a," are they OK and doing what they are supposed to do."  In my loooong career as a petroleum engineer, one thing stands out in my mind.  If nothing is wrong, don't change anything.  I could add to that and state, if you don't know what to do and there is not imminent danger to life and health, don't do anything.  When I look into a hive and see everything the way it should be, I think of letting the bees be bees.  Who adds food and health substitute to the myriads of feral bees?

Just a thought!

lazy

Offline Marion

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:03 am »
Jen, would you mind sharing your recipe for the winter patties? Thanks.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:14:45 pm »
I don't think that I have inspected a hive that did not have adequate amounts of pollen.  I must live in a pollen rich area.  Now nectar, in my drought ridden area is a horse of a different color.  An abundance of nectar is hard come by in a normal 24 inch per year rainfall.  Put a  drought in place with 14 to 15 inches per year, and it becomes real problematic.  But, my bees are prospering and normal rainfall will come back to us.  My time will come.

This drought has shook a lot of would-be farmers and ranchers out of business.  Maybe there is something like Darwinism built into business models, also.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Pollen Substitute For Fall ~ For Marion
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »
Hi Marion, I've been searching for the recipe that I had written down for the 'winter patties', not having success in finding it. I talked to Mr. Gordon Wardell today, who is the creator of Megabee, and he is getting the measurements for me. As soon as I have the recipe I will get it over to you.

These patties are to be given to the bees around the first of Feb, so we have some time. I really enjoyed making these patties and I think you will too  ;)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:56 pm »
marion, i think jen used the mega bee mix for winter patties last year..........

here is a link to megabees website with mixing instructions on winter patties or for a candy board.  the link will bring you to 3 options; winter patty, liquid or candy board, so either click on the winter patty or the candy board instructions:

MegaBee Mixing Instructions

new link to instructions here:

Mega Bee Mixing Instructions

scroll down and choose from 'patties, liquid, or candyboard'..............

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:09:56 pm »
Okay, this is the recipe for Megabee patties, but not the winter patties. The winter patties have wintergreen or spearmint essential oils, and lemongrass essential oil added to the syrup. This is how I made them last spring. And this is why I was talking with Gordon Wardell telling him that I needed the recipe from the old website. This is the new website.

Maybe... these Megabee patties don't need the essential oils to be good food for the late winter.

I have one more place to look for the recipe that I followed last spring, I'll do that tonight  :)