Author Topic: Propolis Junkies!!!! Maybe not!!!!  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Finally Home

Propolis Junkies!!!! Maybe not!!!!
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:19:19 pm »
Depending on your connection, you might have to let it load up first.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Propolis Junkies!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »
So interesting how they are working in a row like that... these must be the girls working on the chain gang Ha!

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:24 pm »
Propolis is collected and carried in pollen baskets ( imagine that's a pain get out lol ).
This appears to be " washboarding " no one knows why they do it, but like mine some do it in large numbers. Suspect is older forger bees with nothing else to do.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:01:35 pm »
Hmmm - never heard of that.  There was actually some propolis running down in the area they were in. That's why I thought they were sealing things up. That group stayed pretty much just like in the video for about 5 hours.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
5 hours, then that sounds like washboarding as Barry mentioned. I call it the Bee Boogie  ;D

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:35:27 pm »
Oh I'm not saying the bee's. were not actually applying propolis I'm just saying most of them were not
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Propolis Junkies!!!! Maybe not!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:09 am »
great video fin!
yep, washboarding, or as jen says doin the bee boogie!........... :D

several years ago, i had 7 hives all doing the bee boogie all at once, and sometimes they do it for hours.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:56 am »
oops forgot,

some good videos, and a little discussion here:
Washboarding?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »
oops forgot,

some good videos, and a little discussion here:
Washboarding?

Thanks.  Very interesting. Never knew about that activity.  They did the same 3/4 rows for about 4 days and then haven't been back out since.....  At least they know what they are doing  ???

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:23 pm »
Maybe there passing gas :D, the house bees want to keep things nice inside for the queen. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »
"At least they know what they are doing  ???"

very true fh!  and we have no clue........ :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:33:51 am »
I've looked at several videos of washboarding.
Washboarding bees on the vertical front of the hive are usually facing down towards the entrance.
Washboarding bees on the landing board usually face towards the entrance.
Washboarding bees on the vertical front of the landing board usually face down (away from the entrance).

Do wild colonies wasboard ?
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline jayj200

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:12 pm »
Their making Bee Gin. lick the deck later lick it again changes the flora of the deck

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
Barbarian- "Do wild colonies washboard?

That is a very interesting question  :eusa_think:  I have never seen them do this on the rough surface of my fence with is butt up against my hives. Bees wouldn't have this smooth surface to boogie on in the wild ... hmmmm

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »
Working on the chain gang!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
"Do wild colonies wasboard ?"

barbarian, i went digging around in my files and the interweb.  i have an article that was written by tom seeley and roger morse that suggests that wild colonies do.  this is an excellent article on the nest structure of natural honey bee colonies. i have attached the file. scroll to page 6 for the section i have highlighted or just do a search in the document for 'washboard': (also bees are propolis junkies!)

"Gosse  (1844)  noticed  that  bees  had Smoothed  the  bark  about  the  entrance of  a  honey  bee  nest.  We  confirmed  his  report  in  observing  areas  of  smoothed bark  extending  up  to  30  cm  from  entrance  holes.  Figure  4  shows  an  example of  this  entrance  smoothing.  The  entrance  areas  of  older  nests  were  generally more  polished  than  those  of  younger  nests.  (~  Washboard  >>  behavior,  in  which young  bees  thrust  their  bodies  back  and  forth  while  scraping  a  surface  with their  mandibles  and  foreleg  tarsi  (GArrY,  1975),  is  probably  part  of  tile  entrance smoothing  operation.  Apparently  rough  bark  is  scraped  down  and  the  remaining cracks  are  filled  with  propolis  to  create  the  smoothed  area.  The  area  is  not sticky.  We  can  only  speculate  upon  the  functions  of  this  entrance  smoothing. Perhaps  it  improves  surveillance  for  nest  defense  and  facilitates  traffic  flow  at the  nest  entrance."

other speculations:
from the UC Davis Department of Entomology and Nematology: Rub-a-Dub-Dub

"Ever seen honey bees engaging in washboarding?

It's a behavior so named because they look as if they're scrubbing clothes on a washboard or scrubbing their home.

It occurs near the entrance of the hive and only with worker bees. They go back and forth, back and forth, a kind of rocking movement. No one knows why they do it. It's one of those unexplained behaviors they've probably been doing for millions of years.

Bee breeder-geneticist Susan Cobey of the University of California, Davis and Washington State University, has witnessed washboarding scores of times. Last week the unusual behavior occurred on two of her hives at the Harry H. Laidlaw Jr. Honey Bee Research Facility at UC Davis. She hypothesizes that these bees are in the "unemployment line." It's a time when foraging isn't so good, so these bees are "sweeping the porch" for something to do, she speculates.

Emeritus professor Norman Gary of UC Davis Department of Entomology writes about it in his chapter, Activities and Behavior of Honey Bees, in the Dadant publication The Hive and the Honey Bee.

"They stand on the second and third pairs of legs and face the entrance. Their heads are bent down and the front legs are also bent," wrote Gary, who has kept bees for more than six decades. "They make 'rocking' or 'washboard' movements, thrusting their bodies forward and backward. At the same time they scrape the surface of the hive with their mandibles with a rapid shearing movement, sliding over the surface as if cleaning it."

They pick up some material and then clean their mandibles.

Gary thinks that "these rocking movements probably serve as a cleaning process by which the bees scrape and polish the surface of the hive."

Like most people, professor/biologist/bee researcher James Nieh of UC San Diego has never seen this behavior. Nieh, who recently presented at seminar at UC Davis, later commented "It is an interesting behavior that would be particularly fascinating to observe in natural colonies in trees. It does seem to involve some cleaning behavior, although it is possible that bees are depositing some olfactory compound while they are rubbing the surface with their mandibles. We are currently conducting research in my lab on the effects of bee mandibular gland secretions on foraging orientation behavior. A new set of experiments will involve examining the effect of mandibular gland secretions on bee behaviors at the nest. I will definitely consider looking at how this potential pheromone affects washboarding."

We managed to capture the behavior with our Iphone and posted it on YouTube. 

It's interesting that of the some 25 research hives at the Laidlaw facility, occupants of two of Cobey's hives exhibited washboarding last week.

So, what are washboarding bees doing? Cleaning their home where pathogenic organisms might congregate, per a theory by Katie Bohrer and Jeffrey Pettis of the USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab?

Or are they just creating "busy work"--"sweeping the porch" for something to do?

It would be interesting to find out! "

i have seen bees washboard primarily at the entrance opening on the bottom board, occasionally a small group at the top entrance of my inner covers, and i have seen them facing all sorts of directions.  i had seen this video before, but your question struck curiousity about it. dr. james tew ( Alabama Cooperative Extension Service, Auburn University) uploaded this cool video.  his bees are washboarding at the top super that has been slid back and also at the bottom entrance:

Forum Sponsor

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 04:56:49 am »
Thank you for the post Riverbee. I greatly appreciate your efforts in assembling the info and quotes.

Your post will be a very useful "refer to" when there are future queries about "washboarding" on this or other forums.

I have kept bees for many years but only in recent (forum) years have I become aware of the behaviour. Washboarding is only infrequently encountered in the UK. I find that interesting because unpainted (rough) hives are more the norm.

Sorry about the response delay   ------ day-dreaming.
" Another Owd Codger "