Author Topic: What Would You Like To See?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Scott Derrick

• Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure
What Would You Like To See?
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:00:47 am »
Since I was a child I've always looked at the world as an optimist. I also had an entrepreneurial spark since I was about 12. I've almost alway looked at "things" and wondered how I could make it better. I've also tried to seek the "holes" in area where there might be  a need. I'd ask myself "would it be better if?" or  make statements like "I would be easier if". Now all that being said. Think about this years bee season. What would make your hobby more enjoyable? Are there any needs out there? Is there anything you'd like to see become more affordable or easier to use? Can you think of any holes that need to be filled?

Hoping to spark some creative thought here.
Scott Derrick
Creator: Honey-B-Gone, Swarm Commander

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: What Would You Like To See?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:15:15 am »
I would like to see an 18 in. cube collapsible framework covered with a cloth mesh, with a 6 in. opening on top with a door. Then a funnel with a 24 in. square top opening and a bottom opening to fit the door on the mesh cube. It could be carried in a vehicle, tucked out of the way, year round. When a swarm call came in, you could go direct without going home after equipment. Set it up, shake or scoop them into the funnel, close the door and go.
Back home, install into a hive and return the cage and funnel to the vehicle.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Scott Derrick

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:17 am »
I would like to see an 18 in. cube collapsible framework covered with a cloth mesh, with a 6 in. opening on top with a door.

So Iddee, you mean like the "clothes hampers" you see in stores? How about a cylindrical one with an inverted cone back into the container made of a slick nylon. Maybe a zipper bottom?
Scott Derrick

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:45:17 am »
I'm sure there could be many variations, but mainly an easily stored unit that would expand to catch a swarm, but take up little space when stored.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Scott Derrick

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:24 am »
I'm sure there could be many variations, but mainly an easily stored unit that would expand to catch a swarm, but take up little space when stored.

I think that's a great idea. I've seen time when I could use something like that rather than a cardboard box. The funnel would make it much easier for sure.
Scott Derrick

Offline Scott Derrick

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
So no other thoughts from the forum?
Scott Derrick

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
Just saw this post. Give me a bit and I'm sure I can think of something. :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »
  :eusa_think:    I would like to see all plastic frames obliterated
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 08:05:16 pm »
jen, there are a great deal of benefits to wax coated plastic frames. ;)

scott, a thought from me.  i would like to see a syrup feed made of powder or granules, mix with water, that contains all the dietary needs as best as it can, that bees need and require, mix with water, (like we do with sugar syrup), better than sugar syrup. and maybe hbh or other in there.  no heating of water, or boiling to dissolve sugar crystals. i use 1 gallon pails to feed bees with, dump it in, pour water in it, stir it up, done. i would like to see a 1:1 feed and a 2:1 feed.  mixing sugar syrup up is one of my least favorite things to do.

also, it would be nice if we didn't have to be concerned that this would freeze during cold fall months.....don't think that's going to happen.... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:22:04 pm »
That's a good one Riv!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 06:50:26 am »
I have thought that it would be nice to have a sheet of laminated paper that you could stick to the underside of telescoping covers. It could have a basic chart on it. The last thing a person would do after going through a hive would be to use a sharpie and mark the date, what they saw, and close it up. While I keep notes as best I can, I am famous for doing a bunch of hives, then stopping to write down what it is I did, and getting completely screwed up as to what I did where!
Stopping to take notes after each hive is a pain.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 10:09:46 pm »
Perry, with me... I will promise to jot down notes, sometimes I do, have been getting better at it. Then when I go back to read the notes I haven't the vaguest idea what all that scribble is  :D

I like your idea, and there should be a slot to push the marker into when done noting and ready to put the lid on  :yah:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:45:37 pm »
a new and improved 'bee brush' ..........better than the ones that are sold.  something that is not so stiff, that doesn't roll the bees and send them in the air, annoy and agitate them. something softer, and able to clean up. 
i cut the bristles shorter on one of mine, this seems to do a better job and help, and i have also used wing feathers, (like pete) but these don't last long, get lost, fly off by themselves...... :D and get mangled.

perry, i have tacked paper underneath the outercover, or put the sheet in a page protector.  bees like to gnaw a little on the paper sometimes, i have used sharpies, but crayons work really well!....... :D and they are cheap!........ :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:46:39 pm »
jen, there are a great deal of benefits to wax coated plastic frames?? Squirt must be talking about the wax on them. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:18 am »
There is a fellow who makes a product called hive notes or some thing like that. Plastic sheet that you write on with a erasable type pen thing like businesses use. You use thump tacks to stick them to the inside of the outer cover.
Guy used to years ago have a web site Maple Valley Apiaries and raised queens too. Also had ads in bee culture and bee journal.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:06 am »
Perry:  I know a very knowledgeable beekeeper that uses the sharpie to the tops of his hive lids to take notes.  He as the hive lids that are aluminum.  I don't know if he is able to wash them off later or not.

riverbee:  I use an old wallpapering brush.  Very soft.  I found it at an estate sale right when I was getting into beekeeping and have never used anything else.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:00 am »
thanks baker's!  what are the bristles made of?
Forum Sponsor